Curses, it's dead!

alec dawe

Railways, Cars, Wine!
11 Dec 2010
East Anglia, 32A Norwich.
Best answers
Continuing with the prepare the garden for track laying saga, have just found that the forsythia seems to be dead.
Damned great thing, which will have to come out before I can lay track near it, or I'd destroy the track tying to get the shrub out afterwards.
I think there's something nasty lurking under that flower bed. It used to be part of the yard complex for a turkey farm, you can still see the outline of he grain silos in the public open space next door, especially in a dy summer.
That particular flower bed seems to kill things, especially deeper rooted pants. So far, the tally is two silver birch trees, two buddliah bushes, one lilac, the forsythia, one Californian lilac, another shrub that I can't remember the name of, a flowering current, and a couple of other shubs. They all thrive for a couple of years, then for no accountable reason, just die! My theory is that there was something nasty buried deepish, so they die when the root sytem gets deep enough.

I'm gonna have to dig the grubber out from the back of the shed to get the roots out

Andy Worsfold

G Scale Railways</br>Disney</br>The Prisoner
24 Oct 2009
Havant
Best answers
And I thought Turkey poop was a good fertiliser.

Wasn't Bernard Matthews Turkey's was it?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Sounds like the ideal place for the railway - well nothing will ever grow there, darling :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

alec dawe

Railways, Cars, Wine!
11 Dec 2010
Best answers
I'll let you put that proposal to SWMBO

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag
could be to much nitrogen ,,, that kills plants

alec dawe

Railways, Cars, Wine!
11 Dec 2010
Best answers
It's out, thank goodness, and the route ahead is clear.

Netty

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Leyland, Lancashire
Best answers
Probably Ribes Alec. I would agree with your theory, most of that stuff would survive a nuclear war. Could turn it into a rockery? All shallow rooted small stuff in scale with the railway :)