Crest 2.4 Revolution with Diesel sound

Ian Powell

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East Bedfont, Middlesex
www.freewebs.com
Best answers
Country flag
I recently purchased the new Crest 2.4 Revolution TE with Diesel sound incorporated into the on board receiver. I placed it into an old Aristo U25B which I have also battery powered. The sound is generic so may not be OK for purists but for the price, it does for me. I have also purchased the Super Base Receiver track power.
I have produced a very modest video for showing the loco going through it`s paces.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec4dYJS-xLY

lone ranger

Trams, Southern region BR & USA steam G Scale
29 Apr 2011
Kirby Cross Frinton-on-Sea Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Ian link comes up with oops something went wrong video can not be edited :confused:

lone ranger

Trams, Southern region BR & USA steam G Scale
29 Apr 2011
Kirby Cross Frinton-on-Sea Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Ian that sounds good for a generic sound, :clap::clap: it will keep the neighbours amused :D:D

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Pretty decent sound for a generic jobbie. The horn is especially effective (probably based on a Nathan). Does it kick in automatically when accelerating etc? Does the sound notch up and down?
The Revolution is a neat wireless system for track or battery
I have a few of the previous non-sound Revo boards which I am linking up with old Soundtraxx Sierra boards (using an interface that filters PWC to pure DC for the soundtraxx) and IMHO I find the handset much more flexible, informative and a hell of a lot neater than the big 'RC aircraft and car' 2.4 GHZ rigs.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Ian Like mike i have most of my locos fitted with non sound revos can i ask where you bought it i'm after the steam sound 6 pack but while they are cheap enough shipping and tax kills importing them officaily ...also some say they are programmable for different locos (or will be ) what have you heard

dudley

All model railways
21 Mar 2010
lowestoft
Best answers
I bought the steam sound card, the American whistle is something else, I have to turn the sound down its that good.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Tony
They are not programmable for different sounds/locos ...yet. They say that the next iteration of the board will have that function.

When I run out of my DC analogue boards ( Soundtraxx Sierra and Phoenix 2K2) to link to my non-sound Revo boards, I may investigate the steamer Revo-sound board option but I will probably wait until they bring out the programmable jobbie.
The only problem for Aristocraft is that they will have to invest time in some good recordings of all the different locos and 'parts' of the overall sounds (bell, air pump, blow down, generator, brakes, coupling clank, rod clank etc etc) together with the ability to select those from the handset. At the moment that is only horn/bell.

The one caveat that I have about the Revo-sound option at the moment is it seems that although it is a cheap option for adding control and sound it does not have as many different 'part' sounds or selectable/auto sound functions as half decent sound boards do (both DC or DCC ones).

Things will only improve though.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Buggered if i can find it now but a few weeks ago on the large scale forum site someone was saying a website is being set up with downloadable real sounds of British and USA locos for the chips so at the time i tried to buy some but the steam ones were out of stock..they now back at $499 ---£320 which for a control and sound has got to be good but ive got get hold of my ex in NC and see if she can unpack and send as sechand for me to save a few pennys i was just wondering where Ian got his from

Ian Powell

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East Bedfont, Middlesex
www.freewebs.com
Best answers
Country flag
Tony
Only got back online since my posting this morning. I ordered mine from Wisconsin Trains and a friend picked them up and brought them home for me. I do know that they intend to program different sounds in the future but Aristo are always slow to bring new items on the shelf. Check Matts` website, if you can find a way of bypassing transportation charges, he is most helpful.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
This is copied from Dec 2012 news letter

"We?ve added a great generic diesel sound and will shortly have a steam sound that can be downloaded from the Internet along with future upgrades to the transmitter software itself. This will be done wirelessly directly from a computer port to the transmitter or loco of choice and these update boards will be in stock shortly"

We wait and see

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Tony said:
This is copied from Dec 2012 news letter

"We?ve added a great generic diesel sound and will shortly have a steam sound that can be downloaded from the Internet along with future upgrades to the transmitter software itself. This will be done wirelessly directly from a computer port to the transmitter or loco of choice and these update boards will be in stock shortly"

We wait and see

That is only the 'generic' steam sound ..the one that Dudley has already got with his Revo/sound board. The 'multi' steam sounds will only come with the new boards that allow programming. The software upgrade capability for the current boards seems to be really only for other functions of the board.

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
This is the Aristo-Craft video showing the generic diesel sound. The sound seems to have been recorded at some distance from the source and is muffled and distant. The sound was not recorded 'live', as up close to the loco.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79gawAwCikM