Converting two axle to four axle

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I seem to have much better luck with keeping the wheels on the rails with four axle rolling stock. Almost all of my LGB freight cars have been converted to four axle versions. The simplest method that works for any 300mm piece of rolling stock, be it freight or passenger, is to simply install an American four axle chassis on the piece desired. It`s a slam dunk as the screw bosses line up in almost every instance for the new chassis. As LGB four axle chassis seem to be in short supply lately, I have started to buy cheap Bachmann freight cars, mostly off of Ebay. I sell off the body of the car and keep the trucks and frame. I cut out the middle of the chassis and use each end with the trucks attached. Then I drill holes in the bottom of the LGB wagon and screw the Bachmann cut down parts in place. This works well for closed cars. For open cars like gondolas and flat cars, the screws protrude up through the floor. I cut the screws flush with the top of the floor and touch them up with some paint.

By the way, the two round magnets on the bottom of the car are for when I load a pallet onto the flatcar with my R/C forklift. The pallet has a small magnet that helps keep it on the car. This video shows my first attempt at this. These were Hartland flats with sheet metal glued to the bed.

https://youtu.be/6X1RRW_MlA0

Attachments

• IMG_1248.jpg
    IMG_1248.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1249.jpg
    IMG_1249.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 31