Connie on a diet, AVRR #15

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
I decided a while back that by the early '20s the Allegheny Valley would have needed another class of locomotive to replace their aging 1880s 2-8-0s in heavy freight service. I had planned going a different direction, but got a B'mann Connie 'cheap' (relative term, the axle gear is missing 5 teeth so it's also a fixer-upper).

One slight problem. The AV is 42" gauge (1:24) and the Connie is this big pig of a thing in 3 foot gauge (1:20)... I also have 4 rather close clearance bridges and 2 tunnels. Soooooooooo......

I already had a Big Hauler tender (less trucks) and a gentleman recently sent me a 1st generation cab. I bookmarked an old article on another board about how someone else did a downsize. Of course, the Skunkworks can't just steal someone else's idea, so a slightly different reconfigure was in order.

First order of business... order a new gear off NWSL (Northwest Shortline - higher quality than Botch - err Bachmann's). But while we are waiting for that, it's mangle time! I pretty much stripped the thing (a good thing too, ALL the drivetrain and gearbox screws were about 1/4 to 1/2 turn loose!) If anything, it's even uglier naked.
PC080052.jpg

Now, for a possible prototype........ I figured the AV might have done it the same way the Grande did with their big K-37s. Namely a standard gauge boiler on a narrow gauge chassis. So, I went trolling for pix. Unfortunately, most SG engines of a similar size to what the boiler scaled out were either 1. piston valve engines. 2. Wagon tops. or 3. had a 2nd sand dome. Eventually I found this one of an old Pennsy Mogul.
prr9681s.jpg

A bit smaller than what I wanted, but we're cookin! Moving the dome forward (shortening everything) and giving the boiler a coat of Pullman green yielded this early last evening.
PC090053.jpg

Next on the agenda was shortening the pilot to get rid of some of that extra overhang.--- By about 3/8" on the truck and 1/2" on the frame. It's closer to the length on the rear now for a bit more balanced feel... and to keep it from knocking into things on curves. (One of my main gripes about the 10 wheelers, too.) I reworked the front truck a bit while I was at it. It might negotiate a R-1 now, but I'm not holding my breath that the center drivers wouldn't drop outside the inner rail if I tried it. But there's plenty of swing for my outdoor R-2s now.
PC100054.jpg

That's as far as I got so far. Kim is going to go visit her mom today so I get the whole day to myself to get into trouble... I'll start on the tender then.

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Re:Connie on a diet, AVRR #17

I promising start there Mik very nice :clap:

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers

Hi Mik,

i hope you dont need the space on tracline for the connie, because besides beeing a bit "bully", its very broad on the zylinders.
But all in all, for me one of the nicest locos on market.
After having a Shay and a Mallet, i am thinking of two further things:
1.) a scratched connie to make a Mikado
2.) a scratched connie to make a tenwheeler.

At least the second was built nearly 1:1 like a connie: with outside frame and nearly the same dimensions an looking.

Greeting

Frank

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

Mik said:
I decided a while back that by the early '20s the Allegheny Valley would have needed another class of locomotive to replace their aging 1880s 2-8-0s in heavy freight service. I had planned going a different direction, but got a B'mann Connie 'cheap' (relative term, the axle gear is missing 5 teeth so it's also a fixer-upper).

One slight problem. The AV is 42" gauge (1:24) and the Connie is this big pig of a thing in 3 foot gauge (1:20)... I also have 4 rather close clearance bridges and 2 tunnels. Soooooooooo......

I already had a Big Hauler tender (less trucks) and a gentleman recently sent me a 1st generation cab.

:happy::happy::happy:

And there's me with an Annie trying to 'big it up' to 1:20.3

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'd swap ya the tender - but it's a bit of a long way to go :eek:nphone::eek:nphone:

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers

Today I started on the tender. First order of business was to address the Connie truck breakage problem. (I found one of mine had already been half-a##ed repaired) IMO it's just a crummy execution for a flex idea, sooo. I cut 1/8" of that crap out of each side to narrow the truck frames, put in bigger screws AND glued them rigid. My trackwork isn't THAT bad, anyway. The one on the left is original, the right manglified.
PC100053.jpg

I decided to make an extended coal bunker, rather than hungry boards. All I had the right width was paint stirrers. After they are sealed and painted they should look fine.
PC100054_01.jpg

Lots left to do, but this mock up should give you an idea where we are headed. I may have to shorten the stack a bit more. I haven't decided.
PC100055.jpg

Anybody know how wide an LGB mogul pilot plow is?

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers

Here's what it looked like this morning. I don't want to get too crazy with stuff to bend when I turn her over to fix that gear.
PC110052.jpg

Changing of the Guard - 1885 2-8-0 #5 pulls her sister's newly arrived replacement dead in tow to the shops to be prepped for service on a winter's day in 1925
PC110055.jpg

The difference in size is more noticeable in this one. The Aristo has the same sized B'mann cab and tender, but the Connie is much beefier. #5 will soon be leaving for her new assignment in El Cajon California.
PC110054.jpg

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
I'm thoroughly ashamed. Here we were talking intimately about a lady, only to find out it's really her twin sister.

In other words, the road number will henceforth be #15, not #17 because I messed up the other decals.... A minor point, unless you believe locomotives have individual personalities.

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Just for the sake of comparison the c-16 and the Connie have about the same rigid wheelbase (drivers). Even with both having Big Hauler cabs the difference in mass is impressive.
PC110053.jpg

I said it was going to be the grubbiest freight hog anybody ever saw.... and I haven't even done any overspray weathering yet - that's just washes! I also modified the 'cowcatcher' by grafting half a broken off Aristo 0-4-0 pilot step on each side. I also reinforced it on the back side with brass strip since it was broken.
PC120053.jpg

PC120052.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

Mik said:
.......................First order of business was to address the Connie truck breakage problem. (I found one of mine had already been half-a##ed repaired) IMO it's just a crummy execution for a flex idea, sooo. I cut 1/8" of that crap out of each side to narrow the truck frames, put in bigger screws AND glued them rigid.

When mine fell apart, I did a fix that allowed one side to swivel, and thus have compensated bogies. Not sure that my track's THAT bad, but on the other hand, it ain't that good either....................:rofl::rofl:

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers

Cosmetically, it's pretty much where I want it, now. It still needs couplers and the gear replaced, yet... Yes, those are R-1 curves. It looks kind of silly, but I think it might actually go around them in a pinch.
PC130056.jpg

PC130053.jpg

I'm selling off the original cab and unused tender parts if anybody wants them.

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag

mik , how much and whats left!!

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers

daveyb said:
mik , how much and whats left!!

Sorry, all gone... got two 'huge' scrapboxes full of who knows what for them.... When they arrive I'll root through them and see what all I don't want/need

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag

e385078db157445e96c24a3b1d8d924e.jpg
46889e64fd0e4a7b8f3185f336fb87f1.jpg
4ee14cab07654695acb5a2f4960df324.jpg
2a16d664995144998bf0d622ac92d18b.jpg

Mik, I very much like the chop, gives the chassis a much beefier stance.:clap: here's some of my loco rebuilds. The 0-6-0 tank on a LGB chassis. The two LGB forneys have new front ends. Alyn

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers

funandtrains said:
It looks like some of the 3'6" gauge locos used in either Canada or New Zealand with the new chunky proportions.

Thanks! from what I can tell it now scales out about the size of the D&RGW c-25
00007532.jpg

Alyn, for shame! Cutting up perfectly good LGB! Be careful the Red Box Brigade doesn't catch you! lol ... seriously tho, they look great!

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers

OK, here's the poop on doing the gear swap. It took me about 45 minutes to an hour. But I had to keep stopping to take pictures....
follow the link: http://www.the-ashpit.com/mik/gear.html

The NWSL gear is a lot more substantial than the B'mann one
PC200057.JPG