Compatibility 2.4ghz Rx - Servos of different makes

switcher

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hi, can someone provide a short overview to which extent receivers of different 2.4 systems - eg Planet, Spektrum, (Hobbyking) are compatible with conventional (old) servo-connectors/ servos e.g. Futaba, JR etc...???
Further - provided I'd change an old 27/40/72mhz R/C for a 2.4ghz one - can I keep the servos or do I have to get a completely new set of servos as well?

Thanks

Westcott

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Apperley, Glos
www.the-wests.com
Best answers
As I understand it, all servos are compatible with any receiver, regardless af make or frequency.
The plugs are an industry standard!

switcher

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Westcott said:
As I understand it, all servos are compatible with any receiver, regardless af make or frequency.
The plugs are an industry standard!
ok, though the old ones had quite different plugs with neutral/positive/negative in variations depending on the make (eg Futaba/Acoms/Sanwa/MPX/JST..) etc... ?! So I should be able to use a Servo with a Futaba connector together with a Planet/Twister receiver then?

Westcott

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Apperley, Glos
www.the-wests.com
Best answers

switcher

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers

Westcott

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Apperley, Glos
www.the-wests.com
Best answers
switcher said:
... if the 'old' (probably analogue) servos can be connected with current 2.4 Ghz Rx?

Yes, if the pinout matches.
The RX/TX frequency is merely the carrier of the stick position from the RX to the TX.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
If I might be allowed to tag on here Switcher, I too have a query, it's over thirty years since I messed with R/C so all I once knew is now lost (probably wasn't that much anyway). I've been looking at the Giant Cod 4channel set that was recommende on here and wondered which servos I should get with it. There seems plenty of selection on their site but little assistance as to what is suitable. I want to R/C my small steamer (Excelsior).

switcher

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
here i should bring in one important experience:

while all servos i used with 27 and 40MHz systems do work with the 2,4GHz, too, there was a BIG problem with another thing:

the big electronic-house conrad offers an RC-multiswitch for doing 7 extra functions with the use of 2 prop-channels (1 cross-lever)
while the spectrum 2,4GHz worked on that switch (even though it had all functions compeltely confused), my Jamara 2,4GHz does not work with that switch at all.

Interestingly the switch works with simple servo-functions. Its pluged in on normal servo-channels. On GHz-Systems: If u put on a servo on the channels, it works, the electronic multiswitch doesnt. On "normal" MHz-Systems, the same servos work on the same pins where the multiswitch DOES work. Conrad told me (while asking), that they faced that problem serveral times, but do not have a solution for it.

Servos are electronical parts, too.
So, if there were several servos that wont work on GHz-Systems, i wouldnt be surprised. Even though i havent found ones till now.

Greetings

Frank

switcher

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
bobg said:
I've been looking at the Giant Cod 4channel set that was recommende on here and wondered which servos I should get with it. There seems plenty of selection on their site but little assistance as to what is suitable. I want to R/C my small steamer (Excelsior).
According to Tony Walsham all recent servos should work:
http://www.gscalecentral.net/fb.ashx?m=147868

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
My point was more not which ones would work, but which were most suitable for the application. The prices vary considerably (as do the power ratings). Little point in buying the dearest and most powerful if a lesser one will do the job satifactorily. Obviously the more powerful ones will also draw more current and flatten the Rx battery faster.

switcher

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
bobg said:
My point was more not which ones would work, but which were most suitable for the application. The prices vary considerably (as do the power ratings). Little point in buying the dearest and most powerful if a lesser one will do the job satifactorily. Obviously the more powerful ones will also draw more current and flatten the Rx battery faster.
Some claim servos frequently stop working properly in live steamers after some time due to the heat, though some - supposedly the ones with metal gear last longer...

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
bobg said:
...but which were most suitable for the application...
Bob,
I've recently had to change servos on my elderly Roundhouse locos.
My feeling is to use a "mini" size, not "micro" and go for metal gears.
I find Hitec HS82MG work well.

My understanding and experience is that receivers are manufacturer specific, but servos are not, and if the plug fits it will generally work. This is not totally guaranteed, as stated previously, because of multiswitch systems.

In terms of make of kit, a consideration is power requirements. Some of the cheaper systems use more battery cells.
I'm getting excellent service from the simple Planet T5 units, which take only 4 x AA cells.
I bought a pair of a cheaper type and found they need 8 x AA, which increases running costs.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
MRail said:
Bob,
I've recently had to change servos on my elderly Roundhouse locos.
My feeling is to use a "mini" size, not "micro" and go for metal gears.
I find Hitec HS82MG work well.

Cheers Rob that's just the info I was looking for. Not sure I will have room for two minis in it but at least I've something to go on. I might have to re-model a bunker or summat.

The mechanic

Registered
24 Nov 2016
South Staffordshire UK and Co. Wexford Eire
Best answers
Country flag
There's a good write up by Chris Bird of an RC install on an Accucraft Leader (similar to excelsior) here...

Type in "Leader2" into the search box.
I have used the methods detailed on my own Leader as well as the cylinder covers that work a treat!

Dave

Last edited:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
There's a good write up by Chris Bird of an RC install on an Accucraft Leader (similar to excelsior) here...

Type in "Leader2" into the search box.
I have used the methods detailed on my own Leader as well as the cylinder covers that work a treat!

Dave
You do know this thread is over 10 years old!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You should be OK with almost any modern receiver with 'pins' and any servo which mates with said 'pins'. - So Futaba connectors..

The most recent micro receivers, and servos and actuators they connect to, will have a smaller connector, and many will be 3.5V(ish) designed to work from a single Lithium battery.

PhilP