Circuit for directional and interior lighting

Topogardenmike

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
b9bd71cb0250493e981994b1c2067424.jpg
I have had some trouble with my RHB railcar decoder. I run analog so as a quick fix I have parralled up the traction motors and it runs fine but no lights. Do I spend a couple of hundered getting it fixed and possibly the board replaced or is the other option to create my own marker lights and interior lighting.

I guess I will need some kind of voltage regulator with a 0 to 24v input and 5 volt output, some LEDS red/white (are vthere those that change with polarity ) some diodes and put them all together. Anybody got a circuit with component numbers so that I can replicate it.

Here is the offending beast. The original problem was that it was running normally, stopped and all the lights glowed until they popped. Subsequently tested on friends layout and ran in DCC but not analog. Any thoughts anyone!

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
I did a topic on this on the old forum, the text only may be available via the link below, it is on my computer but I also have the original on the same machine.
http://www.gscalecentral.net/tm?m=2003&high=voltage < Link To http://www.gscalecentral....=2003&high=voltage

I suggest three alternatives.
One replace the LGB board with a chip with analogue capability and screw terminals such as a Massoth eMotion XL or an ESU Lokpilot XL for around £55. This will give you all the lighting and power outputs you need and also, of course, digital operation when you visit DCC layouts.

Two, build three voltage regulators, one for bi-directional lights etc. and one each for forward and reverse functions as per the diagram below. You could omit D1 C2 and C3 in all three circuits as they are a bit OTT for this application.

72e6e6716cb3412f98c957c46211fe7e.jpg

61538913e6044ad8b081821bfdbf0aa0.jpg

Three, replace the bulbs with higher voltage (around 18V to 24V) ones or leds with suitable resistors wired to the track via diodes for direction.

Option three may result in the lights being dim at normal operating speed but would allow automatic directional led lighting by using red/white diodes. If you wanted to do this using the voltage regulator you would need two separate leds for each light, I suggest a conventional clear white one with a red surface mount version fixed behind it.

Whatever you choose I strongly advise checking any remaining wiring for faults as this a fault in it may possibly have caused the original problem.