Choosing and Moving Trees

Pipalya

White Pass, SAR (South Australian Railways)
16 Jun 2010
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Since starting a garden railway nearly 21/2 years ago the need to choose appropriate trees was constantly on my mind. Tracks laid and mountains, bridges and tunnels constructed it all looked pretty bare and cried out for vegetation. So its been a hit and miss affair. I planned a rough map and decided to map what I planted which was all rather haphazard. Seeing a likely looking plant that would make a tree and leaning to the conifer as I had WP&YRR locos and rolling stock I initially chose 3 junipers and 3 Dwarf Alberta spruce - Albertiana conica, a myrtle and a Dwarf Maleluca linarifolia. The Maleluca wasn't really the right shape but it looked nice and in fact became a great tree. However I made a big mistake. To help fill out the western mountain where the spruce were planted I had buried a pile of unwanted 'instant lawn'. This eventually rotted away and my spruce started to disappear into a hole. They were successfully moved 4 weeks ago and so far appear to be in good shape. The junipers were a bit prickly and have become tough to prune and leave dead needles that are really nasty. No more junipers unless this is characteristic only of Juniperus chinensis pyrimidalis? I should make clear that Adelaide summers are hot, very hot, with dry north winds so a dripper system was installed from the start to keep the moisture levels up. Also unfortunately my garden bed was built up with left over scrapings from the backyard and was heavily clay based which caused drainage problems. All over the landscape still looks pretty bare and rocky. Plants being expensive and with funds being spent on track, signals etc it is only slowly advancing in the garden department.

88a9392fc7c64c788e8d7895028ae561.gif

Not a plan but mapped where I planted. This turned out to be helpful when things died I knew what they were.
9ae157c9d6a948d9a04012e07b1ff8f6.jpg

The spruce disappearing down a hole!
f67b6253f4f04cfa8c486f842159ee48.jpg

Digging them out for a transplanting attempt - tried to keep as much soil around the roots as possible - had waterd before.
1040752ca8fa4fadac5313cbb0897bd9.jpg

The hole which had had an overgrown Rosemary bush (see position 6 on the map). Looked good for a while being sort of conifer shaped but went crazy and wild despite pruning which only encouraged it! This was on the eastern mountain next to the cabin. Thymus serpyllum 'Doone Valley' (Creeping Thyme) was performing very well as a ground cover. Scleranthus biflorus made a very successful grassy field for the sheep! However it has suffered a little around the edges in the heat. In colder climates it should do very well. I am surprised it has flourished in the hotter climate of Adelaide.
fd94d345a1e34a6ca9e7f5d6f68bfd69.jpg

Successful transplant.

In the next episode I will talk about the tree that was too successful - Maleluca linarifolia.

Don Gilham

Model railways, Photography, anything lazy
28 May 2011
Broome, Norfolk
Best answers
Very interesting Peter :clap:

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
The planting record is an excellent idea, I am forever planting stuff then forgetting what it was. In the UK most dwarf conifers seem to do OK ( well in my experience they do )

Pipalya

White Pass, SAR (South Australian Railways)
16 Jun 2010
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
garrymartin said:
The planting record is an excellent idea, I am forever planting stuff then forgetting what it was. In the UK most dwarf conifers seem to do OK ( well in my experience they do )
I thought so and I'm glad I did it at the beginning. Below is my current map. You can see if you compare it with the one above that it indicates items that have died and been removed or moved. The pic below that shows new plantings on the eastern hill viewed from the east.
3494cbaaae994213a01d473c90a3b4b6.gif

Below we see the new plantings, two Cupressus macrocarpa and a maleleuca near the horse paddock replacing a Thryptomene calycina which succumbed to heat stress. In a more shaded position this may have survived. Worth trying again. So as you say the record does help especially when visiting nurseries. Take the plan and you won't make the same mistake twice!
e733ed3222514ff59acbd69ba2a02de3.jpg

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent maps and a darned good way of keeping track of what is where. :clap:
I am not sure how much our climate compares with Adelaide but I would hazard a guess that the East Anglia region is not too far off being similar (even down to the early hot dry summer if last year was anything to go by). The choice of plants could very easily translate over here.

I now use this book as a good reference guide "Miniature Garden Handbook" by Nancy Norris (it is produced by the Garden Railways stable)

Don Gilham

28 May 2011
Broome, Norfolk
Best answers
beavercreek said:
The choice of plants could very easily translate over here.

Have to remember to plant them the right way up though, Mike :D

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Don Gilham said:
beavercreek said:
The choice of plants could very easily translate over here.

Have to remember to plant them the right way up though, Mike :D

Oh yeah, but it is a hell of a job finding upside down varieties! :rofl:

Don Gilham

28 May 2011
Broome, Norfolk
Best answers
Hehehehe :)

I found that book by the way Mike, and bought it off Ebay - cheapest was £10.25 + 99p postage - everywhere else is at least 5 squid dearer ! (It's called Miniature Garden Guidebook)

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Don Gilham said:
Hehehehe :)

I found that book by the way Mike, and bought it off Ebay - cheapest was £10.25 + 99p postage - everywhere else is at least 5 squid dearer !

I never listen to people who call you a tight**** I just say that you are building an excellent habitat for moths....your wallet :D

Well done though Don, I managed a reduction of three squids but a fiver off makes it all the much better! And thanks for the correction as I think that there maybe an older book with 'handbook' in the title. :D

Don Gilham

28 May 2011
Broome, Norfolk
Best answers
beavercreek said:
I just say that you are building an excellent habitat for moths....your wallet :D

Nah you're quite wrong there, Mike. Moths can't get in, cuz I never open the bugger :D

Cyclone

Registered
10 May 2011
Staffordshire UK
Best answers
Wish I had recorded where I planted bulbs. My line is currently under attack from tulips and a station forecourt got relocated by hyacinths and snow drops.

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Cyclone said:
Wish I had recorded where I planted bulbs. My line is currently under attack from tulips and a station forecourt got relocated by hyacinths and snow drops.

Its a perennial problem..........:rofl::rofl: