Cheddar Iver burner problem

Chris Bird

Steam,gardening, photography
14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
Hi Dave
I have had many issues with the Iver burner - but never this one. I suggest that you take out the gas tank by releasing the screw in the jet housing, and then remove the burner. It may feel like it is welded in, but it is just a push fit and can be eased off. Check for damage to the ceramic. Re-fit the jet to the burner, with it out of the loco and in a safe place. Crack open the gas and light the gas at the ceramic (taking proper care etc.). If it lights to give a bunsen type flame, then ease up the gas and you will see it lift off the ceramic. These burners really do need to be kept low - mine whistles like fury if up too much.

If the burner will not light, then take out the gas jet and invert it over your gas can nozzle to blow it clear. Do this outside and away from naked flame!!

Try again........ If this fails, you can get a replacement burner on Ebay from Forest I think.
Good luck
Chris

Chris Bird

14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
Dave - it definitely sounds like a blocked jet so that has to be your first course of action. Remember not to poke anything through it!
As for the ceramic - I can't imagine that a couple of lumps knocked off would make a difference. Worth checking that the holes through the ceramic are clear though.
Cheers
Chris

Chris Bird

14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
That's excellent news Dave - we have all been there with the dreaded blocked jet and I for one have checked a whole lot of things before homing in on the culpret.
Happy steaming
Chris