Cheap Remote Control of 'things'.

adeshers

More sense than money .. more stupidity than sense
6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I can't answer the question but the seller has some of the rummest/most diverse offerings I have seen in a long time. Electronic bits, piano tuning tools, headscarves, tattoo studio instruments of torture........! :rolleyes:

adeshers

More sense than money .. more stupidity than sense
6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
KeithT said:
I can't answer the question but the seller has some of the rummest/most diverse offerings I have seen in a long time. Electronic bits, piano tuning tools, headscarves, tattoo studio instruments of torture........! :rolleyes:

Aye, it piqued my imagination too!! :rolleyes:

Ade

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Key Fob technology is not new to garden railways, Cliff Barker suppliers a kit for this purpose, so you could give it a try

Mods: Perhaps this topic could be moved to the Battery Power section

Westcott

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Apperley, Glos
www.the-wests.com
Best answers

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, could these things be used to JUST turn things like Station and Building Lights on and off?
JonD

eye-kay

Trams, narrow gauge, and anything else on rails
26 Oct 2009
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
You should be able to use them. I have just bought one myself. The UK website for the vendor is http://www.virtualvillage.co.uk/ < Link To www.virtualvillage.co.uk. Be aware that there are two varients - momentary and latched - momentary is probably best. As Westcott says, you still need to build a speed controller. I am going to build one using a PICAXE microcontroller, similar to that mentioned on Greg Hunters website.

Hope that helps

Ian

Westcott

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Apperley, Glos
www.the-wests.com
Best answers
dunnyrail said:
... could these things be used to JUST turn things like Station and Building Lights on and off?

Yes, indirectly.
The latched version supplies enough drive to operate a small relay, or a transistor.
There are versions of the receiver with several on-board relays.

Hamish

Westcott

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Apperley, Glos
www.the-wests.com
Best answers
eye-kay said:
... you still need to build a speed controller. I am going to build one using a PICAXE microcontroller, similar to that mentioned on Greg Hunters website.

Hi Ian,

You are welcome to my PicAxe code, if it will help.

Hamish

eye-kay

26 Oct 2009
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
That's very generous of you Hamish. Any advice on the electronic circuit design would be useful. I've designed a circuit based on the PicAxe manual, Greg Hunter's website, and Dave Bodnar's site (http://www.trainelectronics.com/ ). I'm going to use an 18X picaxe driving a L293D IC to drive to motor. I've just got to find some time to start soldering it together.

Ian

Westcott

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Apperley, Glos
www.the-wests.com
Best answers
Ian,

That's roughly what I did as well.
For the motor drive IC I used instead an LMD18200 H-bridge.
It handles up to 3A, with single pins for drive and reversing, and auto thermal shutdown!
Will you be getting a PicAxe starter kit?

Hamish

eye-kay

26 Oct 2009
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
Westcott said:
Ian,

That's roughly what I did as well.
For the motor drive IC I used instead an LMD18200 H-bridge.
It handles up to 3A, with single pins for drive and reversing, and auto thermal shutdown!
Will you be getting a PicAxe starter kit?

Hamish

Yes I've got a starter kit with USB cable, stereo connector, Editor, etc. I've got as far as setting up a simple program to switch on an LED using an IR controller, so I know the basics work. I tried to setup the motor control circuit on my bread board but I ran out of connection wires. I'll need to get some more. I don't want to start soldering things until I know the design works. I'm using a Hartland Mack as the trial candidate so I don't need 3A. However if its successful I will attempt a larger loco in future so knowing about the LMD18200 is useful.

Ian