trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I came across this animated cattle car on Evilly this evening. I've never seen this from Bachmann before and cannot determine if it is a new offering or an older one that has been discontinued. I wonder if anyone can shed some light on it ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BACH-98702-...196999?hash=item1c5e8a28c7:g:VosAAOSwHPlWd0ci

It's got metal wheels - trouble is, I cannot remember when metal replaced plastic - so that's a starter I suppose.

Edit: It's a new addition - just checked Bachmann Europe - it rang a bell that I had seen it mentioned!

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Although not strictly prototypical, they look to be a lot of fun.
If in 1:1 scale , there could be a lot of headless cattle wandering about!

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Although not strictly prototypical, they look to be a lot of fun.
If in 1:1 scale , there could be a lot of headless cattle wandering about!

That would put the slaughter house out of business.....:smirk:

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
The best price I can find is $79.99 at Trainworld. I have a Bachmann stocker and some cattle. I think I'll try it myself.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Well, I found a Bachmann cattle car body on Ebay for $9.95. Along with the four head of cattle I purchased from the same seller, ANA Kramer, some time ago cheap, I cobbled together this. The cattle were slaughtered and the hind portions discarded. Then the heads were glued together and the assembly hung from the roof with string. So the cattle move as the train moves. If I can get some train time later today i will film it in action. I also installed an ITTC cattle sound module inside the stock car.

IMG_2174.jpg

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I managed to get outside and do a bit of filming. Though most of the film has to do with other than cattle, you can see the cattle car in action.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Nice Dan!....I take the magnet crane worked on the logs because it was iron-wood........hat...coat....door....... ;)

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Dan,
Some superb animation there. I did wonder about the Pipe Wagon below till I saw the unload Operation. Plenty of Toys in that one to make it work. But very effective, love the way the Staunchions return to upright after the unload.

Just a though re the Logs. I wonder if it would be worthwhile to put a bit of Bark Coloured Paint on the Steel Wraps that you use to pick them up with I guess an Electro Magnet. Be interesting to hear how you constructed that Electonic Magnet. Many thanks for the post and Vid.
JonD

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
The pipe wagon still needs some aesthetic tweaking. The two Li-on batteries on one end should have a shroud placed over them. That would make a better appearance than the black paint and rust spots I have on them now. The movable stanchions took me a few experimental tries to get right. You may have noticed that I have metal upright plates that are attached to the side of the wagon. There are magnets attached to the bottom of the stanchions that are attracted to the metal plates as the bed lowers.

The reason for two Li-on batteries, Blue Chinese type, are that when I had one battery powering the lift mechanism and the receiver, there was interference, from the motor I presume, So the lift motor would go in spits and spurts.

Yes, the logs need to be worked on also. Another option might be to get a hold of some of those Bachmann plastic logs and fit a metal rod inside them. The electro-magnet seems strong enough to be able to work through the plastic.

The electro-magnet was purchased from an Ebay supplier. It works best at 12 volts DC. It is rated for constant "ON".

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the info Dan, Bachman Logs would work. They are rather nice when given a bit of less shinny paint. Thanks also for heads up on Electro Magnet. Might just give one a try.
JonD