capacitor install... or options

hpilot2

Registered
20 Oct 2011
Best answers
hi all, i am overhauling a second hand LGB, 262 2080 [number 996001] and just installed a NCE D408SR decoder... just tested the motor and it [the motor] runs fine, however, i have power to all 3 axles but this loco still wont run through [LGB] switches with out stalling... i have a capacitor but not sure how to fit it to the decoder. searched high n low for info from NCE but no luck. any help is appreciated. thanks. Bruce.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
A capacitor may help but this loco should on most occasions run through clean LBG points without any problems. I'd start off by checking that all of the power pickup points are working and remedy if not.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
A 2080 sounds like an early example without pickup skates. These should have pickups on the trailing truck.
Even if it has skates it could be an idea to fit pickups to the rear, and maybe even front, trucks

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Your right Neil, the front trucks have the casting to fit a pair of plunger pickups but were not fitted at the factory? it will improve matters no end to have an extra pair of pickups! I've owned a number of these over the years and for whatever reason they have always found my twisted sections of track!! I think its the rigid 6 driver gearbox lifting the wheels which is why the extra pickups help because they can swivel and stay on the rails..................Paul...........

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not sure if the D408SR supports the addition of a power buffer capacitor? I can find no mention of it in the manual.

Don't know about the LGB 2080, but a mate asked me to look over an older U class 0-6-2 that had started to stall in various places on his trackwork. I stripped it right down, found that some of the pickup brush springs had lost their tension over the years - probably overheated. I sorted these out for him, gave it a decent service and it's fine once more.

hpilot2

Registered
20 Oct 2011
Best answers
Cliff, thanks for your suggestion, however all switches are new... it did prompt me to relook at how i'd laid my track... some of the offending switches are set on slight grades and are not dead flat... so i'll fix that... Cliff, I've also just elected to go with the R R & Co system to run my NCE layout... I'm sure I'll have a few questions about that... and I do like your layout... just watched your video.
Neil & Paul, i will re-align my switches, but will also add the pick-ups on the front wheel set... for some reason, the fellow I bought this loco off had the lights wired directly to the rear pick-ups, so I have just re routed those pick-ups to the decoder and ther is an improvement in the running allready... I would still be interested to find out how to fit the capacitor anyway... thanks guys for your assistance... Bruce

hpilot2

Registered
20 Oct 2011
Best answers
hi Nick, I had a look at the springs & all the brass strips that make contact... some needed a clean up and I replaced some wireing that had been pinched... but other than that it all seems fine in the motor area... as suggested by the other guys, I'm going to add extra pick-ups on the front boogies as well... I think this will solve the problem... hope it does anyway. Bruce

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
hpilot2 said:
I've also just elected to go with the R R & Co system to run my NCE layout... I'm sure I'll have a few questions about that...

Bruce, I'll be glad to offer any assistance that I can. Glad you liked the video.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I tend to agree with Nick. I have found several bullet pickups that dont work that appear to be fine on a visual inspection.
A new set of bullets aint much.