Can a 'Serial' Central Station control a 'Parallel' decoder's speed?

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
I am not an electrical engineer versed in DCC, just a DCC hobbyist and installer for the last five years. My understanding is that the Parallel and Serial Modes are for activating a decoder's F Key Functions such as sounds, smoker, lights. And a decoder's motor operation is not parallel or serial control so you should be can operate a locomotive's motor with an older Serial DCC System such as the MTS I or II, but not the sounds in a parallel-configured decoder. The Marklin MSD3 mfx/dcc/dc sound decoders which Marklin started installing into their LGB product line in 2014 are parallel only, as is their CS2/3/+ Command Station.

When I convert a customer's LGB locomotive to DCC sound, I normally remove all the existing factory electronics and install a new DCC sound decoder. But I've converted a couple older LGB sound locomotives with the Serial/Analog sound boards using their DCC Interface and a Massoth XL DCC locomotive/function decoder set to Serial Function (CV49=11 and CV29=4 or 6). Using a Massoth 1210 DCC Command Station and Navigator (or LGB MTS III with Navigator) which has both Parallel and Serial Function Control, I was able to activate all the sounds on the board using the factory-assigned F Key Listing. But one customer was using an ESU EcOS Command Station which also has no Serial Function Control, so I installed two ESU Miniature Relays connected to the sound board's whistle and bell reed switch function and wired to the XL decoder, the whistle and bell then could be activated using F1 and F2 on his throttle. The operating and standing sounds would operate as usual, but no other sounds on the board can be activated.

Another glitch: The Massoth DCC Pulsed Smokers only operate in Parallel Function Mode, so you can not install one into a Serial functioning locomotive.

Reactions: 1 user

Big Trak

Registered
22 May 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
And a decoder's motor operation is not parallel or serial control so you should be can operate a locomotive's motor with an older Serial DCC System such as the MTS I or II, but not the sounds in a parallel-configured decoder. The Marklin MSD3 mfx/dcc/dc sound decoders which Marklin started installing into their LGB product line in 2014 are parallel only, as is their CS2/3/+ Command Station.

Thanks. I really hope that’s the case. Have you had the opportunity to try a loco with a Marklin decoder fitted with an LGB Serial MTS 1 or 3 Central Station?

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks. I really hope that’s the case. Have you had the opportunity to try a loco with a Marklin decoder fitted with an LGB Serial MTS 1 or 3 Central Station?
No, I don't have or ever used that old LGB MTS technology. But I do have customers that use the MTS III with Parallel Function with a Massoth Navigator and it works fine with Parallel featured decoders including the Marklin MSD2 decoders. Also, for your and others information, neither the Marklin CS2/3/+ nor the ESU EcOS command stations can not operate DCC-equipped locomotives in Serial Function Mode. However, the Marklin MSD3 decoders can also operate in their unique mfx technology and so can the ESU EcOS system using their M4 Technology setting. Marklin and ESU jointly developed the mfx DCC type technology, so ESU can use the technology but can't use the term mfx, so they use M4 as the equivalent to mfx for their system. But again, the ESU and Marklin command stations, and probably most other current brand DCC command stations, other than Massoth, only use Parallel Mode for Function Control (there may be an exception I'm not aware of).