Cale Clank, or does your Accucraft sound like an Austerity?

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
The Accucraft Caledonia is a fine all metal model, but being fine scale and metal some examples can clank when close parts get a bit too close.
7458d88e2bb34b26b74ef5ea51512545.jpg

One reason can be the coupling rods striking the bolt head of the brake blocks, handing can move the brake hangers and it's an easy job just to bend them back to their correct position.

Another cause can be the rear of the crosshead striking the coupling rod. Mark Biffen and I fixed this on both our locos by inserting extra spacing washers between cylinders and frame, and also tweeking the motion bracket. I think this was covered in some detail on GSM.
8d03a153db8e473e9f539ddf97154d3b.jpg

After my Cale has bedded in nicely it once again started to emulate a Stainer 8F or Riddles Austerity but this time the cause wasn't immediately obvious. The gearbox design allows the motor and gearbox to move and the clearance between the flanged boiler/firebox join and motor is very tight. So close that a little sideplay allows the motor to strike it. My wife uses thin adhesive foam tape for card making so I stuck a length of this to the boiler/firebox flange. Problem solved. :D With hindsight it may be better to stick it, or sticky pads used for circuit board mounting, to the outside of the motor rather than inside of the boiler as there is more surface area on the motor.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
A slightly different but related issue is that it is possible for the screws holding the cylinders to the frame to work loose. I was fortunate in that as I picked up the loco one of the spacers fell out and almost dropped between the decking boards. The screw I had spotted on the floor a couple of days earlier but had not identified where it came from!
It is now "loctited" it back in place and I checked the others.
BTW It is a devil of a job to tighten in the restricted space available unless you have a small right angled screwdriver.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
KeithT said:
BTW It is a devil of a job to tighten in the restricted space available unless you have a small right angled screwdriver.

True :D

9f130e5812d146e1a3ba6810e646759d.jpg

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Neil Robinson said:
KeithT said:

True :D

images

thats a proper Rolls-Royce screw driver that!! Under the dash that lash up gets used a lot, although I have a 1/4 ratchet spanner that I use...........................