Cable operated points

TD6239

Registered
16 Jan 2020
Chester, Uk
Best answers
Country flag
While grabbing a few bits for jobs over the weekend in a certain orange DIY Store I saw some 1.5mm stainless wire...

Has anyone tried cable operating points as per a lot of the German railways back in the day?

I’ll experiment for abit but if anyone’s tried it I’d love to know how it went!

Thanks, Tom

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Seen it done a few times. Use automotive/lawnmower choke/throttle cable. The secret is having it anchored securely.

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have used bike brake cables successfull. I routed them from the points up to bolts on the nearby fence. Worked very well and stood up to weather and the accumlated grot that you get with sandy soil and sprinkler systems!

I have moved to using Bertram Heyn point switches as I was finding leaning across the track areas to get to the fence a pain in the….back. I cab flick the Heyn levers with the uncoupling device I have on the end of a two foot length of rail and carry around with me.

The brake cables worked well though. There’s a bit of a thread about them here: https://www.gscalecentral.net/threads/building-manual-point-switch-throw-and.312948/

Last edited:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Pre-war, Hornby O gauge had a system of wire operated points and signals.

Here is a link to a description of it from Meccano Magazine of December, 1926:

and a bit from The Brighton Toy and Model Museum:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Depends how stiff the wire is and what your baseboard is made of. I used the system to link 2 points for a crossover and soldered short pieces of tube to brass screws in the paving slabs I used for a board. Bellcranks linked the point tie bars to get the correct movement from a single point lever. I used stiff steel wire probably 1-2mm thick. Just needed some grease in the tubes and worked fine for a few tears till railway was dismantled for a house move.

TD6239

Registered
16 Jan 2020
Chester, Uk
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks All!
Many great ideas on the Ottawa Valley website, I had never seen their page before