ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Here's a Busted Bricks flat wagon that I decided to weather and add a few tools and materials as a load.
The kit has had Bachmann 24.5mm wheels and Accucraft chopper couplings fitted. I fitted a couple of end boards inspired by a wagon I saw at the Bredgar and Wormshill Railway recently. Detail parts have come from ebay or were picked up from various traders at Swanley Expo Narrow Gauge show.

327151b57286453f92ac7911cfd261e3.jpg

b6128022f9a14cdbbd501ed4c942a78a.jpg

Can't help thinking those bricks need strapping down!

I have another 3 wagons similarly weathered up but yet to come up with loads for these, so I'm on the lookout for inspiraton!

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
A great bit of weathering!

Steven.T

16mm Scale NG
27 Dec 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Best answers
I love all the tool and stuff, could do with getting some to go on my low loader with the Mini.
Where did you get the Petrol cans?

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
In a word, stunning! Provided me with some inspiration as well... The detail is truly imaginative.... I wouldn't strap the bricks down the detail on the wagon suggests that this is a knockabout affair used around the yards etc to provide tools and materials for some maintenance project... maybe on the other wagons a pile of sand, a bag of cement and a mixer or a couple of shovels, a trowel or 2 to provide the where with all to lay the bricks....

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good - you can't help thinking "heck, that rust's gonna take some scraping off" - so realistic! Wish I could weather detail like that!

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all, thanks for the kind words! I guess I'm more of a collector / RTR out-of-the-box modeller most of the time so I thought might as well have a go at some more realistic looking detailing on some cheap kits, just for a change.

I had to go rummaging through my hobby room wastebin to find packets and answer the questions!

@Steven.T: the modern jerry cans I picked up at ExpoNG show, they're resin castings by Sidelines. Only reference I can find to them on the web is here:
http://www.levelz.co.uk/acatalog/in...k/acatalog/Sidelines_Scenics.html&CatalogBody

The wooden crates and small spanners etc. came from the same source.
The pickaxes, lumphammers, oil can are whitemetal castings from S&D Models (also found @ ExpoNG). A few other tools from the accessories packs from Bachmann locos.

@Trev: yes, I was thinking about a cement mixer etc. for another of the wagons.

@Mick: I'm very pleased with the the way the rust came out. It's simply some Deluxe Materials Scenic Rust over a base coat of black, then the whole wagon sprayed with matt varnish to seal it all in.

I think I might get the bug for weathering, my locos will be getting nervous!

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Like the way you've made it look as if the rust is bursting through the paint. Not sure I've yet managed to perfect that technique - Scenic Rust is a really great product to use though

Rik

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Here`s a second wagon for the works train, recently completed:

dscn4244a.jpg

DSCN4246a.jpg

The cement mixer is a pencil sharpener from ebay, suitably painted and rusted using Scenic rust as described in earlier posts.  The bags of sand are repainted 1:24 dolls house coffee and potato sacks, the spade has an etched blade (dolls house garden tools) and a hand-carved handle.  The cement bags I designed and printed myself and wrapped round balsa wood cores. The hose is a length of 7/02 wire. 

The metal drum was made from a cork with added wire rings, covered with tin foil. I`ve not yet decided whether there`s room for it on the wagon!

Hmmm... what to do next for wagon #3.... ?

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Two excellent pieces of weathering and customisng there.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
They look brilliant. Take five!

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
I don't remember spotting this first time round. That rusty chassis is a sight to behold (I've cleaned off enough real ones to know!) it almost goes beyond realism. Defo to be proud of.

Your comment about strapping the bricks. If the bricks had been stacked flat, not on edge, then they would look a little less precarious. A touch tricky now I guess, as they are probably carved on a single block. :happy: :happy:

BRILL!!!

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
A great bit of modelling there Nick. Love the rust and cement debris. Some say G scale does not have modellers - wrong!

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks everyone, glad you like my efforts!

It's kept me amused while my garden line's been out of service during building works the past few months. Hoping to get trains running again next spring, though I must admit now that our house extension is complete my mind is turning once more to the idea of a portable indoor/exhibition layout. Last year's bad weather and this year's service interruptions have meant very little actual running has taken place outdoors for a while.

Chris Bird

Steam,gardening, photography
14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
Great weathering Nick - that wagon looks the business!

Regarding ideas for loads, you might like to look here at some simple crates made from lolly sticks and old off-cuts of timber:

https://sites.google.com/a/gardenrailwayclub.com/club/workshop/simple-wooden-crate

These were for 7/8ths scale, but would be fine for 16mm and G scale, though you could use coffee stirrers for narrower planks. Here is a photo of the guys loading these crates on to wagons at the Summerlands Works Railway.
Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• Loading crates M.jpg
    Loading crates M.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 42

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, they'll be simple to make and I've got a bag of lolly sticks and other stuff. Might take a trip to McD's for some more of their stirrers. Thanks Chris.