Building RhB Car

FurkaSOCal

Registered
26 Dec 2017
San Diego
Best answers
Country flag
Hello,

Recently I've been thinking about trying my hand at scratch building an Rhb car like this one: LGB 33670 RhB 2nd Class Passenger Car, B2467 Collection Item . It seems like it could be fairly simple since it's mostly just a big rectangle without too many complicated small bits. I feel very confident that I could make this out of wood but I wanted to make it at least partially out of plastic as a learning experience.

Before I get started I had some questions:

1. What type of plastic do you prefer: PVC, ABS plastic, or others?
2. What is best for cutting the windows? Would a jigsaw or dremel do the trick?
3. What is best for combining different sections of plastic together? During my research I have seen people use various glues, and putty that they then sand down and paint for a seamless connection. Any brands that you recommend?

Sorry to ask so many questions at once, I wanted to make sure I get off to a strong start with this project!
rhb wagen.jpg

Parkdesigner

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Los Angeles, CA / Derbyshire, UK / Frankfurt, DE
Best answers
Country flag
Are you looking to build an accurate model (like the one in the photo?) or a shortened and compressed one like the LGB car in the link?

If you're just looking to build "a car" I've seen people build RhB steel cars in styrene, cut either by hand, laser, or CNC. Seems that slow and steady wins the day if cutting by hand. (That said, I'd really suggest trying to buy an LGB spare roof, as the EW ribbed roofs can be hard to fabricate.)

If you're looking for an "accurate number of windows" car, there are people that "bash" two LGB cars together. I've seen one guy simply run his two sets of car sides and roofs through a band saw, then marry, putty, and sand them together smooth. From 10 feet away they looked ok. (Though the length will still be off from the prototype.) This is a good example, though this modeler took the added step of bashing the car ends to widen the cars to prototypical specs as well... RhB Personenzug

There are also people that splice the roofs together, but use custom CNC'd sides from perspex. They looked much more refined and "finished" like an LGB model, but with the correct number of windows with the correct spacing between. (Albeit still with a "compressed" width.) Using the original LGB car ends and a "lengthened" LGB chassis/floor helps greatly in keeping the cars square and true. (Have a look at this: B 2341-73 EW1)

If you're looking for very, very accurate - there is always Ed's Garten Bahn kits: https://www.edgb.nl/wp-content/uploads/IMG_0880.jpg though they were pricey.

Finally, you may want to watch: http://www.schmalspurgartenbahn.de He's apparently announcing his EW II and EWIII A, B, and BD cars on the 18th of this month. There's been speculation on how his cars will come togher - if they will be "inserts" for an LGB model, or complete build kits like the EGB ones.

Honestly, if you're just going to try and scratch together an approximation of the LGB car - by the time you buy enough styrene, glue, paint, decals, bogies and wheels, couplers, etc. - you're probably better off just watching eBay for a slightly used LGB model, cost-wise.

If you're going for "correct number of windows" I'd say, wait and see what comes later this month, and if the Schmalspurgartenbahn kits are still too pricey, investigate having someone laser or CNC new, longer replacement car sides for an LGB model and source a spare second roof to splice with the first.

Reactions: 2 users

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not looking to build one myself but I just wanted to say thank you Parkdesigner Parkdesigner for the time you spent putting that answer together. It is full of practical advice for any modeller in this scale.

Reactions: 1 users