Building an IP Engineering Low Loader

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Last weekend, I build an IP Engineering low loader, and this weekend I get to build another!

Here`s the one I built earlier (to quote Blue Peter).image.jpg

So, first of all everything out of the pack and start removing bits from the frets.

image.jpg

Last week`s effort was all cut wood, whilst this week it`s laser cut wood.

Everything cut out, identified and sorted.

image.jpg

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
For the wooden bits, I tend to use TiteBond 2.
image.jpg
The first job is to create some C sections. These will form the side frames.  The IP instructions are pretty good, however there is no difference between the cut wood and laser cut versions.  The laser cut is more like an Airfix kit!
image.jpg
Just going backwards a bit, I remove the fret attachments (sort of wooden flash!) by clamping like pieces together and then lightly sanding.  It ensures that everything that`s supposed to be identical stays that way.
image.jpg
Here are various bits of C section glued and clamped.

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
While those bits are drying, it`s time to look at the bogies.

image.jpg

These need minimal tidying up with jeweler`s files, but the bogie mounts need the holes drilling and at the same time the bogie stretcher holes can do with gently opening up.

image.jpg

At this stage, I painted the bogie side frames and the wheel centers.

image.jpg

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Having cleaned up the now dry C beams and made sure the ends are square (ish!), it`s time to try and assemble the pieces.  Remember that the angled pieces are `handed` otherwise the C will be backwards.  It`s important to make sure the bottom beam is parallel to the end beams.

image.jpg

Having done one, I started on the second.  They need to be identical, otherwise it will be a wavy wagon, which is not recommended.  As you`ll see from the photo below, I like to add bracing behind the beam at the joints.  It`s not suggested by IP, but I don`t trust my joints.  They can`t be seen when it`s all put together.

image.jpg

OK that`s your lot for tonight.  Off to the local Mexican Restaurant with the lady wife and back to assembly tomorrow.

Hasta la vista!  ...as they`ll say in the Mexican.

GJFREESTONE

Garden Railways, Model making
19 Jan 2013
Shropshire
Best answers
Looking good will follow this can you buy the bogies on there own.
Graham Shrewsbury.

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Graham. I don't know, but given that the bogies came in thier own package, with separate instructions, and the wheels were also separate - I would think the bogies are available on their own.

No work on the kit today as it was decided (by external authorities) that the patio was turning green and needed pressure washing! Funnily, I quite enjoy that but it has taken all day. I also pressure washed some of the house and found out it was a creamy colour, not the moss green it had been turning ;-)