Budget RC battery power for LGB locos

wilf54

Registered
28 Mar 2010
North West, United Kingdom
Best answers
Hi,

I am on a (very) tight budget and am concidering converting a Stainz to battery power, mainly to enable it to run on the cheaper plastic track.

It really does need to be radio controlled to make it suitable for use by children.

Does anyone have any suggestions/comments on suitable systems? Cost is the limiting factor here - more than willing to "make something out of a pile of bits".

Many thanks

Will

Del Tapparo

Registered
24 Nov 2009
Windsor, Colorado, USA
www.gscalegraphics.net
Best answers
Country flag
I have a lot of customers that use my "Critter Controls" for children: simply twist a knob on the loco for speed control, or push a button. The RailBoss R/C system can also be used. One of the programming features is "Max speed". Very useful for kids !

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/DelTapparo/ < Link To G-Scale Graphics

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
If your inclined the cheepo battery powered electric screwdrivers can be robbed of all the parts you will need for battery op including the charger!! if you use the 19volt versions they will provide more than enough power for a long long run plus if you substitute the trigger for a reo-stat you will get speed control as well, I wrote a piece on the old GSM doing something similar with a drill kit and Remote control..................It's still working.....................

Andrew

Garden Railways in all scales
26 Oct 2009
Bomaderry, NSW, Australia
Best answers
Try this site http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/satr/2point4GHz.htm
This is a cheap reliable system that I have installed in a trail car (or tender) on my Stainz. Also installed one in the tender of my LGB 2-4-0 starter set, and trail car for Lil Critter. Runs quiet well on 12 volts in batteries. Just plug trail car into the 2 holes or connections in rear of Stainz. Also because of low cost involved, I am converting all my locos to this system, so when visitors come they all get a remote with a train to use. You can run in any direction and work out where you will have to wait for passing trains in various sidings. Makes a lot more interesting and more fun! Also a BIG plus is you are not confined to electricial conductive track. I have seen straights made from 1/8" x 1/2" flat aluminium bar bought at a hardware shop as well as indoor track made from timber dowell.
Regards from Andrew at Sandbar & Mudcrab Railway.