Broken axle.

whiskey

Registered
7 Nov 2009
Franconia, Virginia USA
Best answers
I just bought an LGB B&O F-7 A-B-A set, and it has developed a squeak in the turns. I started to open the gearboxes for see about the condition of the grease inside when I found a broken axle.

I was then overcome by events and had to put my repair efforts on hold after only looking in two motor boxes, without getting to the unpowered sets.

So I have two questions. Firstly, are the unpowered trucks in the “B” locomotive equipped with gears on the axles?

What might be causing my squeaking? Are there any particular spots that need lubrication other than the plastic around the axle supports and the gears?

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

72C01AF4-E3ED-4219-88E6-55C1DE32EC65.jpeg72C01AF4-E3ED-4219-88E6-55C1DE32EC65.jpeg

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
I don't know about an axle being broken, but right there in the picture is what appears to be a cracked gear. This is a common occurrence with other manufacturers' products, so no surprise there...time to go after LGB for a replacement wheelset with gear.

whiskey

Registered
7 Nov 2009
Franconia, Virginia USA
Best answers
You are very correct, broken gear is a better description than broken axle.

I will crack the B unit open soon to determine if there is a serviceable “spare” in there.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The squeaking can be cured by a small application of LGB 50019 lube, the stuff in the sort of syringe. It is the Plungers that can cause this noise so the lube needs to be to the back of the wheels where they rub, only a small amount is what you need. Of course your broken axle could be causing other or even similar noises.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You have a 'split gear'.. Which is common in other makes, but I would say less-so in LGB..

You can purchase a gear, and replace it on the axle. - I would put money in the axles being the same in the un-powered blocks, but no gears on them.

The squeak 'might' be the gear slipping on the knurled shaft? - But a bit of a long-shot.
I have had strange noises, where gears are worn, and the idler moves to one end of the intermediate shaft, and catches on something.. Can be a devil to find. :(

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Best answers
Country flag
Why not contact LGB, through one of its dealer/service representatives and arrange to get a new part, and be done with it. "Borrowing from Peter to pay Paul", is never a brilliant idea, and takes away from the overall enjoyment of your "Toys".
If you can't afford the parts, then surely amongst the group here, we can take up a modest collection to help you get back to enjoying the hobby.
I'm sure I can find a pound or two, and using a bank money order, can get it to you, if it will help. Others have helped me, in the past. I'd just be passing on the good will....
What's say, the rest of you guys...

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
No one has suggested a second hand part or asked for a free one Fred. :think:

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Best answers
Country flag
I was only offering, because I care...no insults meant...Just trying to promote helping to keep fun in the hobby, and get repairs done in good order, without farting around for days on end. Thank me, or dislike my interference...your choice. :shake:

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
What are they putting in the maple syrup these days Fred? :)
The gears are only 12 bucks a pair and stocked by well known LGB dealers in the USA. A phone call or email and they are probably posted in a few days.

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Best answers
Country flag
What are they putting in the maple syrup these days Fred? :)
The gears are only 12 bucks a pair and stocked by well known LGB dealers in the USA. A phone call or email and they are probably posted in a few days.
A good portion of good Gin... !!!!

whiskey

Registered
7 Nov 2009
Franconia, Virginia USA
Best answers
Your kindness is amazing, folks. I was planning to contact trainli for replacement parts after I make a full account of all 12 axles.

I hope to get clear of this round-the-clock “working from home” nonsense so that I can crack open the other four axle blocks soon.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
All LGB B units shipped with no gears on the axles. I do not know if Markilin changed this as they redesigned the B unit and B units now only have a speaker, no electronics. ANd you ban not use the new B units with the old A units, different plug/sockets.