Bridge disaster and recovery

NCS from Qbyn

Registered
29 Apr 2016
Queanbeyan, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
OK, so I had this really nice little wooden bridge that I had made for me in the USA by Lonestar Bridges [oddly enough in Texas, but now I think they have ceased trading] and shipped out to Australia. This is what it looked like a few years ago.

_DSC1174 smaller.jpg

Then, in November last year disaster struck, in the form of a huge tree branch that fell from a great height - fortunately, when I was nowhere too close! My bridge then looked like this:

_DSC1181 smaller.jpg

and from another angle:

_DSC1182 smaller.jpg

You will note that the deck of the bridge acquired a V shape profile - the wood was splintered. The arches were also rather bent and one was broken in two and a small piece was missing altogether. [I still haven't found that bit!]

My initial reaction was that the deck was a write-off and I thought of repurposing the arches for a less elegant home made replacement bridge. However, after some reflection and the purchase of a chain saw to remove and deal with the offending branch, I thought I would try to repair the bridge to something close to its original state. So first I had to deal with the splintered V shaped profile. I was able to carefully clamp the two sides of the split to get it almost flat. Then I bolted two strips of wood under the deck to one half and then bolted them to the other, while also applying glue to the splintered join. This process served to flatten the deck and restore its strength. I then filled in the several gaps in the structure with a self-hardening putty-like two-part polymer repair compound covered with some plastic wood.. Finally, I sanded off all the previous varnish and prepared the bridge for a new varnish treatment.

_DSC1200 smaller.jpg

_DSC1202 smaller.jpg

This left the bridge looking somewhat restored - as shown above.
I then put 2 coats of Cedar varnish followed by a clear coat - the last was to improve UV resistance.
Then I had to repair the bent and broken cable stays, including adding a piece that had simply vanished.
The net result of all this work can be seen in the next pic.

_DSC1205 smaller.jpg

Then I just needed to re-install the bridge and tidy up the track ballast. The following final pics show the end result.
It wasn't such a write-off, after all!

_DSC1206 smaller.jpg

_DSC1211 smaller.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent piece of work there! :rock::)

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

PhilP

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
A job well done.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Well recovered , and a nice job of it too

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Great restoration job:clap::hi::hi::hi::hi::cool:,

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Love using items that are thought are beyond it, you have shown us an inspirational item of that art.

Edgar

Registered
13 May 2020
Tennessee
Best answers
Country flag
Nice save! Looks better than new.

RDFMTS2

Dyffryn Llynfi & Porthcawl Railway
5 May 2015
South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
A really impressive restoration, as others say, looks better than new, well done. :) David

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
A restoration to be proud of -it looked like firewood!

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Goodonyamate, bonza.