Brakeman gets a promotion?well maybe,

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Crew 008.jpg I have had my Connie for a week and of course I`m messing with it already,the trouble is that the Bachmann engineer that came with the loco is ,,just too small,looks like a child driving the `ol` girl.The fireman will do with a repaint so what will replace the driver?So I tried a brakeman figure from the scrapbox and maybe,just maybe he would fit with just a few mods.I wanted at least an elbow lean on the cab window,didnt need to lean out completely (problem getting back in the box)so after trying him in, a lighter was used to bend the right arm a little although might need a little more and presto he goes in ok and at some point I will try and modify the cap a little to make it a little more"US style".A for the fireman,I wanted him in the cab also, so his hand will rest on the cab door frame and the impression I`m after is them "chatting",as both in the cab the loco /tender will sit back in its polystyrene case,still very much work in progress but the crew now look about the same size. .:cool::cool:

Attachments

• Crew 009.jpg
    Crew 009.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Crew 011.jpg
    Crew 011.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Nice bit of melting/bending - does the business.
I never realised that the boiler stuck out the back of these things. Looks odd to me.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I never realised that the boiler stuck out the back of these things. Looks odd to me.
Yeah, it's a very weird concept - possibly emanating from warmer climes, hence the opening cab front doors :nod::nod::nod:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
or colder climates - boxed in out of the weather - who knows - someone probably!

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yes Alan,strange setup,but not the only loco with this,the new(ish)Bachmann C19 consolidation has the same sort of cab setup,its my understanding the filled in cab and closing side windows was for reverse running in severe weather but why the firebox door is on the outside i`m not sure,assume its to give the room for "shovel swing"and to keep the loco length down.No doubt somewhere out there someone will have the solution,as for the engineer mods,the cap etc,these now done but phone battery died on me before work t`nite so no pics,mods seemed to work ok though;)

Last edited:

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
I`ve done some more to the Connie crew,the engineers cap has been changed using a sharp knife and a lighter to give a better "shape",I also swapped the right arm of the sitting engineer as it has the hand hole for a throttle hold,as a few more cab interior details are to go in it should tie in well,the left arm has been bent a little more too for a more comfortable fit,and now for the fun part:mad:.The gaps at the arm sockets were a little large so how to cover them?,,,,It wasn`t a problem having the arms fixed into position on either figure so out came the super glue and some ciggy papers and I made the shirts,yep,Rio takin` up dress makin`.It was an experiment but turned out quite well,I still have some more painting to do like changing facial expressions,tone down the light stone colour of the shirts and tidy up the edges of the coveralls,CREW2 001.jpg CREW2 002.jpg CREW2 003.jpg fill the gap on the engineers neck with a bandana,at the moment both heads are still movable and I must say I am pleased with the results so far:cool::cool:

Reactions: 2 users

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I`ve done some more to the Connie crew,the engineers cap has been changed using a sharp knife and a lighter to give a better "shape",I also swapped the right arm of the sitting engineer as it has the hand hole for a throttle hold,as a few more cab interior details are to go in it should tie in well,the left arm has been bent a little more too for a more comfortable fit,and now for the fun part:mad:.The gaps at the arm sockets were a little large so how to cover them?,,,,It wasn`t a problem having the arms fixed into position on either figure so out came the super glue and some ciggy papers and I made the shirts,yep,Rio takin` up dress makin`.It was an experiment but turned out quite well,I still have some more painting to do like changing facial expressions,tone down the light stone colour of the shirts and tidy up the edges of the coveralls,View attachment 229257 View attachment 229258 View attachment 229259 fill the gap on the engineers neck with a bandana,at the moment both heads are still movable and I must say I am pleased with the results so far:cool::cool:

They are looking far better.

Reactions: 1 user

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Casey;)