Brake on DC

mbendebba

Registered
14 Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Folks:
Can anyone explain in plain english, or french, what the term break on DC means and why should I care.

Mohammed

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
Re:Break on DC

Hi Mohammed
Basically when the loco decoder, with brake on DC set up, detects a DC supply it will stop. You can switch a shortish isolated section in front of a signal for example so the train will automatically stop when it is set to danger. Quite useful to avoid over running sidings out of your normal sight too. No use if you want to run a chipped loco on analogue tho because it won't run.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

Is that break, or brake on DC?

Pronounced the same, but 2 different spellings and meanings....

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag

I see Colin has the answer for you Mohammed....

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag

At the risk of thread hijack, I'm aware that some decoders, when used on an analogue system, will slow, pause and then accelerate in the reverse direction to before when the track supply is instantaneously reversed. The length of the pause and the rates of acceleration and deceleration are individually programmable.
I naively assume that all decoders with the brake on dc facility will do this.
I'd appreciate clarification of the above.

mbendebba

Registered
14 Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD, USA
Best answers
Country flag

hello colin:
it is brake I guess. It is spelled as Break on the Massoth website. In essence, a loco equipped with a brake on DC decoder will come to a stop when it encounter an electrical disruption in one of the rails. Is that it

mbendebba

Registered
14 Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD, USA
Best answers
Country flag

hijack away Neil, I want to know as much as I can about this, the more tangents the better

mbendebba

Registered
14 Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD, USA
Best answers
Country flag

I have locos equipped with first generation decoders and none of them ever failed to stop at a signal regardless of whether the layout was digital or analogue

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers

The DCC bus is AC, if you interupt one side of the supply the loco will just stop. If you have an isolated section of track and switch that to DC a brake on DC loco will use the Dc supply to slow down and stop,run the sound etc until it detects that the DCC bus has been reinstated at which time it will move on again governed by it's programmed delay if any.
Neil
Totally unscientific but I've just run an anologue loco 'forwards' then reversed the polarity (by turning the loco round) and it ran 'backwards' with the same command. Seems the faux dc from the system is directional?

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

Neil Robinson said:
I naively assume that all decoders with the brake on dc facility will [stop/pause/reverse with brake-on-DC]
I'd appreciate clarification of the above.

Pretty sure that's a specific Massoth/LGB "feature" to allow automation of a back-and-forth shuttle service without the need for external electronics, although I think some other decoders will try and "soften" the effect of quickly changing the DC polarity under analogue, which in some ways has the same effect as the feature you're describing. Very much depends on the decoder though.

Generally the "Brake-on-DC" function is as Colin described, ie. use it to slow a loco to a gentle stop in front of a red signal, and accelerate away again when DCC is re-instated to the rails. I've seen it used to great effect on an N gauge modular system, you just have to spend some time programing all locos to have reasonably similar deceleration characteristics so that they stop in the same distance. You can leave the acceleration rate different to suit the type of loco and train it's hauling.

Colin, yes indeed the "faux dc" on a DCC system is directional, otherwise you'd not be able to drive your analogue loco back and forth at will!

There are some decoders out there that are not great at running correctly under DC, which is why a lot of people turn off the "run on analogue" function in the decoder to avoid runaways if they're strictly a DCC only operator. I've got an older NCE decoder that sometimes seems unable to make it's mind up which way to run under DC, so that loco doesn't get taken to friend's lines! It runs perfectly on DCC.