Big Hauler by Bachman - looking for idea

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
I recent purchased from one of our memeber the Bachman Big Hauler, I don't really know how to refer to this loco. You know the one I mean, the all plastic battery operated ATSF 4-6-0. My engineer reduced it to a pile of bits and pieces and screws, now we want to know what to do with it. To start with, there is no transmitter, anyone out there got a spare transmitter for this, or suggest where I can get one? What we'd really like to do is try to organise some sort of track pickup, probably through the tender wheels. Anyone ever tried that? The worst scenario would be to disconnect the gearing and push it round with another loco, but that is a bit of a poor option. I don't want it to become just a static stuffed engine, it's too nice for that.

djacobsen

fishing, collecting pretty rocks then cutting & po
24 Oct 2009
Behind the Pine Curtain of East Texas.
Best answers
Best option: purchase a BBT conversion, either 4-6-0 or 2-8-0
next option: shop ebay for a transmitter, check bottom of
locomotive for sticker showing required frequency.

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
tac said:
Glengrant said:
I recent purchased from one of our memeber the Bachman Big Hauler, I don't really know how to refer to this loco. You know the one I mean, the all plastic battery operated ATSF 4-6-0. My engineer reduced it to a pile of bits and pieces and screws, now we want to know what to do with it. To start with, there is no transmitter, anyone out there got a spare transmitter for this, or suggest where I can get one? What we'd really like to do is try to organise some sort of track pickup, probably through the tender wheels. Anyone ever tried that? The worst scenario would be to disconnect the gearing and push it round with another loco, but that is a bit of a poor option. I don't want it to become just a static stuffed engine, it's too nice for that.

Sir - following on from my PM to you, Sandy Taylor at Scottish Garden Rail has a selection of Annies for half the price of the admittedly excellent BBT conversion. Always supposing that you are actually in the UK, that is.

If you live in the USA, then the BBT route might be the one for you, or maybe not with an Annie at less than $120 in many places....I paid $89.95 for mine - no sales tax in Oregon.:D

tac
http://www.ovgrs.org/ < Link To www.ovgrs.org

I might have a word with Sandy, he is only about a couple of hours away from me. I'm not getting terribly worked up about this, and there's plenty of time to consider options, thanks Tac

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers
Hi Cyril

Prob get flayed for this, IMO I think it'll be good money after bad mate. The Annie is a far superior beast and even if you do get the Bug Mauler working the gearbox on the early ones is poo and has a limited life span. I sprayed mine rusty red and its now a wreck at the side of the track :) Now I've looked at all that sunshine and flowers I am really depressed.

http://www.smegworld.org.uk/spaf/images/outside2.jpg < Link To
outside2.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
You could think about running it by battery. Put a small Control System into the Tender, batteries also (suggest 7.2v Radio Control Car types). Connect this up to the loco via a DPDT for Reverse/Forwards and an On/Off for emergency stops and away you go. Much easier and more reliable than trying to track Power the beastie. Good luck and let us know how you got on.

Oh Woderwick, love the Rip Rap Big Hauler, oh there is another idea. Bung it in the embankment of a River with just bits of it sticking out of the rock work/water. I do not think that I have ever seen this done in this way.
JonD

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
They came in two frequencies. The number on the loco gives you the frequency.
I have a transmitter, cant remember what frequency?

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Well Cyril first you take an LGB Mallet and remove the drivers then cut /Butcher Bachman Hauler until drives fit. Paint to suit

Here's one we did previously as John Knoakes used to say...........Get down Shepp................

d969a89716de4442aad5c1762e445682.jpg

Look the sun's out!!

9651f840aff245e49e59c18f5e21a26a.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Cyril

I think I have a transmitter as well - I'll have a look and see if it has a number in the morning.

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
I'm finding all of this advice very interesting, thank you all very much. Now tomorrow my engineer and I have our weekly meeting, every Sunday lunchtime, in a local hostelry, of course, and we will have this item on the agenda. I think my options are, get a complete motored chassis and hack the inside of the loco away to make it fit, although I think if I had a LGB artic I wouldn't be dismantling that. Or I can remove the insides of the BH and using it as a pushed dummy, the Lil Critter looks like a good candidate for that. Or we can just take the easy way out and have it as a dump road or accident candidate. I am not really interested in battery control, the label on the underside giving the frequency by the way has been torn off. But I don't think battery/transmitter is something I want to get involved in. The gearing is doused in some sort of grease, but it doesn't look as though it would stand up to much. I'll post news of progress, if any, in due course, once again thank you all very much

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Here's one I made earlier :D:D

b951bffa2b9244948ae3ae78d741ac56.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
When I responded earlier I was busy looking for some pictures of my converted Bachmann Big hauer. Cold not find them on my net Pc and was in a bit of a rush. Totally forgot the You Tube stuff. My Big H was as a very early one - possibly one of the first dozen or so imorted into the Country back in the 80's. It had the Radio so is probably similar to yours, any how the DVD link will take you to what it looks like now, and yes it still works and pulls a good load for a living. There are more than this video to show my Tralee and Dingle conversion. Yes that loco was a big hauler. Sorry about the quality and lack of sound on the Video, was one of my first posts to You tuybe and I am still learning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUv2FAvLrBQ

JonD