BEST steam sound for an 'American' 4-4-0 loco with r/c

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
and please note that this loco is NOT DCC, but battery R/C.

I don't care how much it costs, I'd like to know what brand produces the BEST and most believable STEAM sound for this iconic loco, now that Phoenix sound has bitten the dust.

The back axle already has four contacts to trigger the correct number of chuffs per revolution, so now it's over to you guys with all the knowledge.....

TIA.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The My Loco Sound cards in my opinion have always been pretty good for USA types, particularly the whistle. Just have a look at the site and you can listen to examples. Just be patient and watch the complete 2 minute vid. Sure there will be something to appeal.

Reactions: 1 user

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
The My Loco Sound cards in my opinion have always been pretty good for USA types, particularly the whistle. Just have a look at the site and you can listen to examples. Just be patient and watch the complete 2 minute vid. Sure there will be something to appeal.

Thanks, Jon. Problem is with their system is that the chuffs are voltage-generated, and if you have any kind of a load behind the loco - like a passenger car or three, then the higher than usual starting voltage gets the thing cranking out chuffs like the uphill train in Dumbo, but with actually moving. The Sierra and Phoenix systems both used sensors on the wheels - axles or backs thereof - and no movement = no chuffs.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, Jon. Problem is with their system is that the chuffs are voltage-generated, and if you have any kind of a load behind the loco - like a passenger car or three, then the higher than usual starting voltage gets the thing cranking out chuffs like the uphill train in Dumbo, but with actually moving. The Sierra and Phoenix systems both used sensors on the wheels - axles or backs thereof - and no movement = no chuffs.
Not true, there is an option to wire in a chuff trigger if the loco has one. Though I have never used it and I don't think that our good friend ge_rik ge_rik has either.

Reactions: 1 user

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not true, there is an option to wire in a chuff trigger if the loco has one. Though I have never used it and I don't think that our good friend Rik has either.
I didn't know that! The loco's I have fitted with LocoSound, including my Accuraft K27, were all converted by Peter Spoerer at the same time. The other two were dismals, but the K27b has has always been a bit of a disappointment to me with respect of the chuffs............... A

Although it's a big loco, so are ANY of the cars, let alone five or six of them, and to have the loco steaming at 60 mph without starting to move is not good.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I use the chuff sensor on my 10 wheeler, and seems to work well.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
No, you can wire them for axle-trigger - nice sound.

My Connie is wired to the axle trigger, my C-19 is wired to a reed switch and magnets on the tender wheels (three magnets on the tender wheels is pretty close to 4 x chuffs per driver driver rotation - somebody else did the sums).

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The Premium cards are a lot different to what you would have got from Peter..
Chuff trigger - if you want it.
Real whistle recordings..

If you wanted a Phoenix Sound, and can find a card..
I can load different sounds, and configure it.

PhilP

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
OK, now at the risk of being shot down in flames and torn to pieces may I bring this to your attention Tac LokSound 5 North American and Australian Sound files - ESU Yes, it is DCC but you can operate it in a battery RC set up. This DCC sound card includes an ESC (helps offset some of the cost). Then all you need is an appropriate TX (Fosworks do one where you can mix DCC & DC types) and the correct RX to access and control the speed, inertia and up to 12/24 other functions.

Why ? Although I rate the MLS Premium as fantastic value, it does not cut it for me as I like the more oddball geared and articulated locos. ESU have very authentic sound projects for these steaming (and droning) wonders. My first conversion of Accucraft & Bachmann Fn3's were using old Sierra cards. Old tech' but I love 'em (I know what I like and........) So far, with the aid of a local DCC wizard I have completed a Bachmann Heisler and am in the process of installing, a standardised set up for the Bachmann PnP PCB, a system for the 2-6-6-2 (worked out for me by said DCC conversant one). All installations use chuff triggers, not voltage, to activate chuffs - either reed switch or on board supplied triggers. Just an idea. Max

P.S. Tac, why did you have to mention Huina RC construction vehicals in a post on the 16 mm FB page ? I now have a small fleet working for the West Well Lumber Co. My local hobby shop in Kidlington had them on sale. Hopefully I'm returning the favour here.

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I would just like to confirm that all MyLocoSound steam soundcards produced since 2014 have the option of voltage timing or chuff trigger, switchable by the customer using button 7 on the TV remote control.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Not true, there is an option to wire in a chuff trigger if the loco has one. Though I have never used it and I don't think that our good friend ge_rik ge_rik has either.
Hi Jon
My most recent loco uses the chuff trigger on a MLS card. It's based around the new version of the Bachmann Lyn motor block which has a built in chuff cam.

Rik

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I would just like to confirm that all MyLocoSound steam soundcards produced since 2014 have the option of voltage timing or chuff trigger, switchable by the customer using button 7 on the TV remote control.

Regards
Peter Lucas
MyLocoSound

Good to know, however, I have only a Spoerer TX-21 transmitter and system, fitted in 2014, not your more-up-to-date model.

As PhilP knows, right now I am having great trouble with three locos that use this TX, obviously not all at the same time. Despite all his help, I'm having to bind each individual RX every time I use them, and trust me, it's getting really tedious.

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Buy a used Phoenix... no offense, MLS not in the same class.

I can find you one if you need it, or the Sierra...

Greg

When I bought it had the Sierra system in it - brilliant sound with lots of self-generated effects running with track power. Unfortunately, it was not compatible with the new digital r/c control and moreover the lead batteries are banned from sale here in Europe. Else I'd go back to it like now....

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Buy a used Phoenix... no offense, MLS not in the same class.

I can find you one if you need it, or the Sierra...

Greg
You're probably right there, Greg, but in order to get the best out of a sound card, you need a decent speaker, and tac is saying that this 4-4-0 is battery powered. The tenders on these locos are not very large, so space for a decent speaker may be an issue.

EDIT - belay that last comment - tac says it had a Sierra system so the speaker's not likely to be a problem :emo: :emo:

Last edited:

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Good to know, however, I have only a Spoerer TX-21 transmitter and system, fitted in 2014, not your more-up-to-date model.

As PhilP knows, right now I am having great trouble with three locos that use this TX, obviously not all at the same time. Despite all his help, I'm having to bind each individual RX every time I use them, and trust me, it's getting really tedious.
Yes the old binding was not the most user friendly. The newer ones are much easier and for you a new Tx with Selecta would be a good choice having the ability for up to 10 locomotives. So keep the old Tx for one and the rest on the Selecta (if you decide to splodge out). I am pretty sure that the new Tx will speak to your older Spoerer Rx, but ask Steve at Fosworks first to be sure.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
When I bought it had the Sierra system in it - brilliant sound with lots of self-generated effects running with track power. Unfortunately, it was not compatible with the new digital r/c control and moreover the lead batteries are banned from sale here in Europe. Else I'd go back to it like now....
I can get round those issues (dependent on the card).
But I can't change the sounds loaded into Sierra cards..

PhilP

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
OK Tac, so you are saying the only reason that you are in need of a new sound card is that you understand there are limitations to using the current Sierra card with modern RC kit ( the ESC & RX I assume) ?

I have used Sierra cards,, in the past 18 months, with both currently available Fosworks RC kit and Tony Walsham's RCS Remote Control Systems - Trackside R/C (sadly I understand no longer in production). The card's "stay alive" battery function is taken care of by routing the main loco's battery through a voltage regulator. Any issues with the PWM output of modern ESC's (if any) can be dealt with by some form of bridge rectifier. On my conversions the vital bits on one (with Fosworks) was very kindly produced by John Stonehouse, formerly of this parish. The other used RCS's SSI-9 to perform the same functions (I understand no longer available.

In case you no longer have the Sierra schematics - The following advise was given to me by others, you can eliminate all the gubbins shown below on the card image and input your main battery fixed voltage on terminals 1&3. Your variable voltage, from the ESC, goes in on 7&8. The volume control still goes in on 1,2&3. Hope this gives you some more options. Max

20201116_092201.jpg

Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
TAC, I am friends with TOC (you should know who he is) and we are eliminating the stupid lead acid battery with some supercaps, easy and smaller.

No issues. He also still has several Sierra cards should you need one.

I have the full gamut of Sierra support documentation.

I think your solution is easier than you think.

Greg

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yup, I know TOC - just got some other Bachmann doo-dads of him, actually, after a ham-fisted helper dropped my Annie and destroyed the left-hand cooling coil thingy.

I'll be in touch with you later.