Baguley query

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hi all

I have been asked to sort a battery supply out for a Baggy, my friend just wants a basic installation, but I have no idea how many volts I need to marshall into it? I can do speed controllers etc not a problemo.

Only looking for a scale 20mph or so flat out, anyone got any idea? 7.2v pack enough????? :thinking:

All thoughts greatfully received

Neil.

Midwalesstokie

Registered
24 Oct 2009
South Wales
Best answers
Only looking for a scale 20mph or so flat out, anyone got any idea? 7.2v pack enough????? :thinking:

Neil.

Probably. I have mine running on 14.4v and it goes dead fast if you let it, 7.2 will probably be fine. Connect a 7.2 battery to the wheels and have a look.

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Depends on what running time you want, I tend to run with double that in my LGB locos

New Haven Neil

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Ah, I should have said I don't have the model - I'm just providing the gubbins.....it's across the sea on your island!!

Running time depends on Ah capacity, not voltage, but speed depends on volts.

palmerston

trains
24 Oct 2009
Netherlands, near Aachen ;-)
Best answers
Country flag
9.6V, 2300mAh

New Haven Neil

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
do'h......... :clown:

I meant an Accucraft Baguley, Palmerston!

my bad!!

Bram

24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Some recievers stipulate what V's are required eg. Cliff Barker min 12V

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I used 14.4 volts of Nicads with RCS radio control and MyLocosound sound. Two years later, it still runs for 2.5 hours and pulls well.

Peter

[attachment deleted by admin]

New Haven Neil

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
I really didn't word my initial query very well, did I? :clown: Sorry guys, I know you are all trying to help me!

It's a manual installation he's after, not r/c. He only wants a slow speed, not a flyer! I can build a manual electronic speed controller no problem, I just need an idea of how many volts are likely to give the speed he wants flat out - I think his young (very) son is going to be the primary driver. Which is hard, when i don't have the engine!! :wits:

Bram

24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Understand now, in the Playmobil that my grandsons play with I use 9.6V that seems to give a reasonable gentle speed, but you might need 2 packs one in and one out charging. The little seeties when they start playing they don't want to stop!!

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
I think 16v would be plenty Neil, and also that you would get some loss of volts as a battery discharges, so when nearly flat you wouldn't get all this delivered. You might be OK with less to start with, but I'd go for overkill rather than under doing it. I'd presume a 16v pack with the controller turned maybe about half to two thirds on would last longer than an 8v pack running flat out? Happy steamings, John  

Edit: That said, allowing for a young driver to be "limited" then yes maybe just put 8 cells in?

New Haven Neil

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Midwalesstokie - 3/11/2009 8:52 PM

Neil.

Probably. I have mine running on 14.4v and it goes dead fast if you let it, 7.2 will probably be fine. Connect a 7.2 battery to the wheels and have a look.

Missed that post somehow, sorry James. I can't try it, it's across your side of the Irish sea!! I had a feeling 7.2v would be enough, for a slow run on a short end to end line, thanks.