Back to Backs

Cyclone

Registered
10 May 2011
Staffordshire UK
Best answers
I've just adjusted some IP engineering wheels and axles. When I found that my track and wheel guage from Steve at Back to bay6 is 39mm for back to back (back of flange to opposite back)
But my IP wheel gauge is 40mm.

I've always thought for 45mm gauge the back to backs should be 40mm?

I run on mainly peco G45 with the occasional lgb bit of track and points thrown in.

I'm slightly confused.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Back to back is important with regard to clearances for check rails etc. and guidance through frogs, but you also have to consider the thickness of the flange and the thickness of the wheel tread. One single back to back measurement isn't necessarily correct if you have a mixture of wheel sizes and brands, and of course is worsened if you also mix brands of trackwork. Trial and error works best for me!

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
Back to back also varies a bit depending on the thickness of the flange

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Back-to-backs, were a certain type of house in poor areas of some cities. No back door or garden, just another terrace house the other side of the wall.
:happy: :happy:

Mij

Registered
11 Dec 2011
Essex at the moment
Best answers
On full size you measure in 3 places or the track checkers tell us the wheel profile, shape and sizes. While you have it upside down check all the wheels in at least two places. As mentioned the profile from one manufacturer to another might be different or even worn if old plus the rail it self can be different. :-X

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
bobg said:
Back-to-backs, were a certain type of house in poor areas of some cities. No back door or garden, just another terrace house the other side of the wall.
:happy: :happy:

Which explains, most likely, why garden railroading pre WW2 was not a widely practiced hobby then. ;)

Reading the thread reminded me of the problems encountered, on occasions, by the railways operate by the famous late Col. Holman Stephens when they transferred or sold, after closure, some stock to his other railways. Wheels, rail poundage and styles were quite varied it seems.