bachmann wagons are they as good as they look

spurs123

led zep spurs lgb
24 Oct 2009
st albans
Best answers
just looking at the bachmann web site (as you do when utn go 3-1 up) and I noticed that they do a range of wagons that are as expensive as lgb , and they look great are these to go with the shay's ect (sorry but I am an american virgin so to speak)

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
the most important thing to know is the scale:

Bachmann uses 2 scales on "G":
the LGB-compatible 1:22,5 (Gauge 2m) and the more american style scale 1:20,3 (Gauge Fn)

The "standard" Bachmann "G"-Line is 1:22,5 and fits (just for the dimensions speaking) to LGB. Those cars are about 40-50 €.

The "Spectrum"-line is mostly 1:20,3 and is of higher quality and detail. the cars are about 100-150 € each.

I had some 1:22,5, but i changed to 1:20,3 because those cars are simply better and better looking. Contra is the price. Pro is that AMS has also 1:20,3 cars from about the same costs and quality.
More pro is: the spectrum Locomotives are not bad and its really a great fun to have them. I think, they are relatively cheap.
More contra: nearly all Spectrum (not the shay and heisler) and AMS needs 120cm (4 feet) RADIUS. 8ft. diameter.

When u are up to play a bit arround in the garden: take 1:22,5 what is ok and much cheaper.

When u tend to go into the US theme, go to 1:20,3 and make slow: less is more, and when u are going deeper and evtl. have to change (like me), u will cry about every coin u spent on 1:22,5!!!!

Take a look at the pictures section, there u find (by today) my bachmann-spectrum (1:20,3) Consolidation and AMS-Cars.
I have Bachmann-Spectrum cars too. They are great, even though i will never understand why they mount such a big and dump coupler.

Frank

spurs123

led zep spurs lgb
24 Oct 2009
st albans
Best answers
thanks for that , have to do a bit of research on the buildings always fancied a logging line

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
for a logging line i would choose the 1:20,3 scale. Shay and Heisler are fitting well.
Take a look at the video section, there you´ll find my shay on duty on youtube.

Buildings may be the best to build by yourself; me, im planning a block-house in some variants maybe. We´ll see.

Frank

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
Reading one Forum or another for some while it seems that there are many reasons for buying certain models and scales. Finance, or lack of it, is a major factor; country or favoured railroad is another.
My initial purchases were Bachmann "Annies" together with their corresponding 1:22.5 stock. I have since moved to 1:29 standard gauge only purchases.

But one thing that is in the Bachmann 1:22.5's favour is that because it is low priced it is a very good starting point for those who have not much to spend, or don't wish to spend much. In addition to the low cost, being not highly detailed and therefore less fragile means that I have no qualms re-painting or kitbashing whereas I am reluctant to do that to my more expensive 1:29 stock. As my railroad is at ground level and runs amongst the bushes and plants, too much detail would not be desirable to me. Each to his own they say!
;)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I've not bought any of the Bachmann 1:20.3 wagons, but have just completed a 5 car rake of AMS wagons - pictures in the live steam section.

they're of a similar price, and if these don't make you go american, nothing will - the detail is extremely good, the wagons look beautiful, but they're not as robust as LGB, although nothing like as delicate as Brawa. They're fine for adults, but not suitable for children.

Of my 5 car rake, three were second hand, and the caboose is brass - the whole lot cost just under £400. :D:D:D

845adaf9bfd04a6a8140c71643a422ac.jpg

0e02703c933b4762be0695d18c82a37b.jpg

f079563fb678475492ea432ab6befb92.jpg

[attachment deleted by admin]

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
39b64f1e06ad41649a549b73e21e4652.jpg
I have 5 of the Bachmann fine scale wagons and 4 AMS :DIf your lucky like me you can pick them up cheaper than the Bachmann 1.22 stock All mine are brand new paid £18.99 for a silver framed tanker £22 for a two bay hopper £40 for a box car and £40 for a gondola:clap:look great behide my K-27 and Connie .

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
5c4494e2a6184483a9e6a3367b8f647e.jpg
4b6918c4c774474fa0bb68b83fa8e9c3.jpg
Behide K-27:D

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Hi, Yes the Bachmann spectrum range is good but the prices here are steep. they have a lot of detail, and have spring trucks as well. Some of the details not well fixed- and can come off -the axleboxes have covers for example, .and they have been known to be loose inside the box.

With all their detail they MAY be best on an inside layout, whereas the older 1/22.5 stock is very strong, and can stand a lot of heavy use - they are also very good for parts for scratchbuilding!

You ask about buildings 1/20th buildings are quite large, and also expensive - I build my own and have to reduce the length of them, the rest is scratch built. I use PVC solid foam and plasticard?PVC strip (from PVC window suppliers) for detail work. The roof can be finished off in a variety of ways. Rather than repeat myself there is a building of mine described in the buildings section, a couple more are approaching completion at the minute as well.

The work is quite easy - the plans are a bit more difficult, I have some books from the USA with plans in them.

Also I would suggest that you possibly ask your local newsagent to get for you the American bi-monthly magazine 'Garden Railways which will give you more information on the USA scene. Plans ocasionally turn up in there as well, and there are web links for buildings and much more as well.

Logging is also covered in the magazine 'Tall timber', and the Australian magazine Narrow Gauge DownUnder.

Both are availabkle from Camden Miniature Steam Services' ( http://www.camdenmin.co.uk/home-c-276.html ) no connection with them.

Yours Peter.