Bachmann tram skates

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all, I have a Bachmann Tram that I recently acquired and when giving the wheels a clean I noticed that it looks as if skates could be fitted. Between the axles on each side of the motor block there are slots with threaded holes and at the top of the slot is the power 'bus bars', all looking like skates could easily be fitted. Has anyone tried this? If so which skates fit? Reason is to get some better current collection and to hopefully stop the wheels from pitting further.

Tim

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
The very first Bachmann trams were fitted with skates but were quickly discontinued. Probably to save money. They were nothing like LGB & I have never seen any others that will fit.

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Ok, thanks, I maybe feeling the call of ordering somg lgb skates and getting out the dremel then..... I think it'll be easier to modify the skates rather than the tram chassis

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
The skates were a fair bit different from LGB & were made of thinner metal. If I get chance I will post a photo tomorrow.

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
That'd be great, gives me an idea of the ensuing task! Many thanks for your help

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
funandtrains said:
Perhaps Marklin Maxi skates would fit as these are smaller than LGB, USAT and Piko.

sounds interesting, do you know where I could get them from?

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have fitted USA trains skates and springs into a Bachmann trolley/tram . They work great. LGB ones can also be installed with a little bending of the skate shoe.

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Did the usa trains ones fit straight in? Are all their skates the same or was it a specific type?
Many thanks, Tim

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
Plan B, try B&Q, or similar diy store, metal section stand. Select the brass strip and make your own;- far far cheaper, and you can make/solder up, replacement skates for any make of loco etc :clap: Alyn

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
nicebutdim said:
Did the usa trains ones fit straight in? Are all their skates the same or was it a specific type?
Many thanks, Tim

Hi Tim
Skates, LGB or USA Trains no special type, (they are practically the same anyway are fine. I have some worn ones, but serviceable. No springs unfortunately. I can send you some worn ones if you wish and you could get hold of the springs from another member perhaps.

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Pictures of Bachmann skates as promised.

LGB on left & Bachmann on right
750ac6d7c0c7466193ba273339821bb7.jpg

They need a spring & screw with washer to hold them in
Picture below isn't that clear but is just about visible
32c8d7490f9c4280945ab9a36801ddc9.jpg

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
That's great, thank you so much for the pictures, gives me a much better idea of the skates.
I'll pm you about the used ones.
So does anybody have any springs for skates that they have laying about? That sounds so rude asking like that, but I really am so grateful for help on here!
Tim

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
nicebutdim said:
That's great, thank you so much for the pictures, gives me a much better idea of the skates.
So does anybody have any springs for skates that they have laying about? That sounds so rude asking like that, but I really am so grateful for help on here!
Tim
Tim springs in biro/ball-point pens work a treat, you can get springs that do the job from surplus supliers like Proops etc. Alyn

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
themole said:
nicebutdim said:
Tim
Tim springs in biro/ball-point pens work a treat, you can get springs that do the job from surplus supliers like Proops etc. Alyn
The simplest ideas are always the ones that pass me by! I didn't even think of that, we've got masses of 'click click' pens hanging around (I think the kids eat them at school).
Thanks Alyn