Bachmann Thomas Series Question

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Why does bachmann make their Thomas series locomotives with what I consider fine scale wheels ? Unless your track is perfectly level, side to side, derailments are a given.

Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Why does bachmann make their Thomas series locomotives with what I consider fine scale wheels ? Unless your track is perfectly level, side to side, derailments are a given.
The (relatively) long rigid wheelbases don't help, especially on R1 and R2 curves that I use on my show layout. However, I do like the wheels' appearance, and they usually tolerate any slight bumps between module ends (until I'm not watching :oops:).

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Bachmann flanges aren't really that fine. I mean they're a bit finer than LGB, but LGB are ridiculous, and are designed to keep locos and rolling stock on their extremely tight R1 & R2 radius curves.

It's probably more to do with the rigid wheelbase, and possibly a bit of wear in the bearings on the outside axles.

How much vertical play is there on the centre axle? If there's none, then the likelihood of the lead axle with slightly worn bearings riding over the rail is quite high. Let's face it, the chances of having perfectly level rail in the garden are pretty remote.

That said, I have a scratchbuilt 2-6-2 with an absolutely rigid 3-axle set-up using Slater's wheels with fairly fine flanges, and it stays on my rails - and I am an expert in badly laid track.

I seem to remember a visiting Thomas and Percy both managed to stay on the rails.

So, there's something else wrong, because from what I saw in your recent video, your track isn't anywhere near as badly laid as mine.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Exactly, rigid chassis, lght weight, longer wheelbase all factors. Also, you should check the back to back on the wheels, this is a toy line and is not always assembled to spec.

With no springing of the drivers, track warp will show as derailments. Look at Aristo, USAT, Bachmann, they all have some sort of system to be compliant with a little track warp.

Greg

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Bachmann flanges aren't really that fine. I mean they're a bit finer than LGB, but LGB are ridiculous, and are designed to keep locos and rolling stock on their extremely tight R1 & R2 radius curves.

It's probably more to do with the rigid wheelbase, and possibly a bit of wear in the bearings on the outside axles.

How much vertical play is there on the centre axle? If there's none, then the likelihood of the lead axle with slightly worn bearings riding over the rail is quite high. Let's face it, the chances of having perfectly level rail in the garden are pretty remote.

That said, I have a scratchbuilt 2-6-2 with an absolutely rigid 3-axle set-up using Slater's wheels with fairly fine flanges, and it stays on my rails - and I am an expert in badly laid track.

I seem to remember a visiting Thomas and Percy both managed to stay on the rails.

So, there's something else wrong, because from what I saw in your recent video, your track isn't anywhere near as badly laid as mine.
Yes, my track is relatively good. But there are a couple places that seem to be troublesome, no matter how much I take the pains to make sure they are level.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Are you putting a level on the tracks crosswise to see what is up? (warp/cross level)

Are there vertical curves there? (sounds like you checked already)

Also, you can encounter gauge issues on track that are hard to see, tight gauge is common.

Greg