Bachmann Spectrum Spectrum 45 ton "Santa Fe" Diesel

davecar

Registered
23 Jun 2010
Liverpool
Best answers
Hi,

I am new to G scale but I now have the bug. I bought a Pico starter set and I have a basic Pico Engine. I have laso bought a Bachmann Anne 2-6-0 whihc is great. I thought I would add a diesel train to my collection and the above diesel is on sale in several outlets for £99 whihc appears to be very good value.

Does anyone have any expeeince of this diesel? I notice that it has knuckle couplings - can these be changed to hook and latch?

Any information on this model gratefully received.

Kind regards,

Dave

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Dave,

there was a discussion on these recently in the Shop Watch section. I think the conclusion was that they're not too bad although not one of Bachmann's best, but beware that they're very large compared to average G gauge stock!

I don't have one of these so cannot comment from personal experience, but if it has the older plastic Bachmann knuckle coupler then I would expect it should be simple to replace with hook and loop (indeed Bachmann rolling stock often comes with hook and loop alternative couplings).

marshman

Registered
9 Feb 2010
north norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Dave,
I had one of these which I sold on. It is fairly big but runs ok, seemed to need a bit more power from the controller. Would recommend minimum R2 curves, has nice bright leds & sliding windows can fall out.

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
I had one of these for a while. They will do R1s but they are massive in width and height. I think it would be a very hard job to change the knuckles for hook and loops. I thought it was a very good loco and very powerful just too large for my line.

fc07e570772d4f3f885710855f420ec1.jpg

davecar

Registered
23 Jun 2010
Liverpool
Best answers
Many thanks for these helpful replies.

Thanks to Musket the Dog for the photograph. It does look very large compared to the other locos.

I think this has made my mind up to look at an alternative.

Kind regards,

Dave