bachmann soft plastic railings

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone had any luck with gluing the soft plastic railings found on Bachmann's G scale rolling stock like cabooses or passenger cars? If so what type of glue did you use? Thanks, Bill

Rowan Bravington

Registered
9 May 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
I have done a similar thing, ie removing the railings and placing them on scratch built rolling stock by: gently squeezing the rails from the inside of the caboose etc, to remove the rail.... this is mostly successful and allows the rails to be placed into the new piece in a suitably sized drilled hole. A dab of CA super glue will hold the rail in place.

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Ditto what Rowan says,I have tried every glue to try and fix these,I decided to knock up some scratch items which worked ok,maybe another alternative would be to contact Bachmann and maybe replace with metal factory items,just a thought and I`m sure that across in the US someone may do aftermarket items but in any case good luck.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The modern all-purpose UHU or Bostik will stick most things - I think UHU still goes under that name in the US, not sure about Bostik.

Bostik in the dark blue or purple packaging is preferable - pretty strong nowadays, and I use it as a general adhesive for lots of things :nod::nod:

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
I dislike the look of the plastic ones and intend to replace with the metal alternatives made by Bachmann. The only problem I've had so far is obtaining the replacements, they've had to come from the States, and are not particularly cheap.

The next problem is that I also intend to change from the original buck-eyes (shame realy they seem good) because my standard dictates Accu. round-head choppers. At last look, none were available. Hopefully that will change when, or soon after, I get home.

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
If stuck, I have used "Goop". Here in North America we have tubes of "Goop" available, in a few varieties. It has been analyzed and appears to actually be all the same, with the exception Outdoor/garden Goop, which may have UV inhibiters in it. There is Marine Goop, Plumbers' Goop, and I think, Shoe Goop. It is a thick clear "Stuff" which seems to bond the plastic of the B'mann railings. If used sparingly, it won't show too much. The metal replacement railings are great, but are rather pricey...
There was some shop or firm over in Britain offering some grabs and railings for the B'mann bobber caboose at one time...I don't remember who he/it was...I wonder if they made any other offerings.
Fred Mills

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry if this a bit late but I’ve only just picked this up, having recently acquired a couple of early Bachmann coaches. S&D Models in the UK make whitemetal replacement items for Bachmann coaches and boxcars. I’ve used the latter for my boxcars and found them satisfactory.