Bachmann mogul

Jayarmin

Registered
20 Sep 2020
Durham uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all, recently changed the dreaded split gear on my Bachman. Thought I would test it before put everything back together nothing. Power Direct to the motor and the motor works. Power to the pick ups nothing. The motor is connected to body via a 2pin plug which works but not to the actual pick ups. Am I missing something ? Surely the motor should be connected to the pickups ?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all, recently changed the dreaded split gear on my Bachman. Thought I would test it before put everything back together nothing. Power Direct to the motor and the motor works. Power to the pick ups nothing. The motor is connected to body via a 2pin plug which works but not to the actual pick ups. Am I missing something ? Surely the motor should be connected to the pickups ?
Hm are there slide in contacts for the motor when put back in the chassis? If so have they been dislodged a little? Can you check power from the wheels to those contacts with a meter?

Jayarmin

Registered
20 Sep 2020
Durham uk
Best answers
Country flag
I think I may have nicked a wire when taking in apart

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I have the "small" Bachmann mogul, and it has two connectors a 4 pin and 2 pin, and yes the pickups from the tender connect to the motor circuit board in the loco.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Make sure you have put the driving axles back the right way around, with their fitted pickups when you reassembled. You might be creating a short, with the tender wheels also having pick ups fitted if they are. Easily done with this loco. I have replaced my loco's main drive gear too, bought a spare as well. I've had mine apart a couple of times. Also check the suppressor PCB "ring" fitted to the motor end bell. The little "caps" on these have a habit of burning out leaving you with a dead engine. Mine did, ditch them and replace. Max

I assume we are talking about one of these -

Bachmann 2-6-0 001.JPG

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
There are wipers on the drive axles, and the wires have little sockets which plug on to lugs on the copper wipers - these, like me, are easily disturbed :confused:

Jayarmin

Registered
20 Sep 2020
Durham uk
Best answers
Country flag
All sorted, the front pick had come loose, which is under a brace