Bachmann Lyn questions

LittleRedTrain

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Ash Vale, UK
Best answers
Hi all,

First chance I've had to post on the new forum. my G scale has been on the back burner while I've been buying a new house (and yes, the garden will be measured for a layout as soon as I get the keys!).

I have just bought myself a second hand Bachmann L&B Lyn off eBay and have a couple of questions for anyone else who has got one.

1) Mine came without nameplates, are these are normally supplied separately in the box? (I didnt' get any accessories or paperwork with mine). Does anyone know whether they can still be sourced? It's not a big deal as I may go for a different name anyway.

2) How easy is it to convert from the knuckle couplers to use LGB type ones?

3) Is there anything else I need to watch out for on this loco? I seem to recall posts on the old forum mentioning issues with the smoke unit.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give
Regards
Daniel

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
I think you can get the Lyn nameplates ready made from GRS.

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Here is the exploded drawing from the old forum.

I have a couple of them and have not experienced any problems with the gears, in fact they look quite robust. I have got one that has a poling motor and spares are not available. Keep the wheels clean thet dirty up very quickly and personally I wouldn't even bother with the smoke unit.

It is upside down as we are on the bottom side of the world.

Ha, ha I got in first with that one. :applause:

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
having recently sold mine-barely run at all
i recall that the rear coupler will take and lgb loop but that the rear pilot must either be trimmed or removed-
didnt install one on the front as it didnt appear possible without more surgery

i would suggest the following which made mine perform rather well, it was never silky and never 'crawled' but would run at slow speed
new quality grease on the worm, tiny bit of oil on the running gear, polish the wheel tyres as well as the inside of the wheel where the brushes contact-the metal is course and prone to pitting via mini arcing -keep an eye on this and it will do well-

treat it gently and do not overload it-the plastic is unforgiving
the smoke unit on mine worked well-but-
it had a leaky reservoir

it is important not to run them dry and to use the off on behind the smoke box door diligently

twas quite a nice looking loco

LittleRedTrain

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Ash Vale, UK
Best answers
Thanks for all the tips and the diagram. Much appreciated.
I've given the loco a test run and it looks like it'll need some lubrication, but is otherwise OK.

I think I'll wait until I've got a proper railway for testing before I do the couplings, (I still have a load of chopper fitted stock that also needs the same treatment).

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
LittleRedTrain - 5/12/2009 11:01 AM

Thanks for all the tips and the diagram. Much appreciated.
I've given the loco a test run and it looks like it'll need some lubrication, but is otherwise OK.

I think I'll wait until I've got a proper railway for testing before I do the couplings, (I still have a load of chopper fitted stock that also needs the same treatment).

Actually the L & B used chopper couplings, perhaps that is the way to go with Accucraft choppers.
Might save altering a load of rolling stock.

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I fitted mine with Chopper's and they worked fine, mounted on the buffer beam.

Mine ran well for quite some time and the motor failed. I'm working with some guys to source a replacement motor unit (as Bachmann don't have any) and when I have done this, I'll report back!

The motor is a weak point, but I think if you keep it maintained and don't do intense running (mine ran at a show almost non stop for a day, which can't be a good thing!) it should be OK.

I didn't have wheel cleaning issues, but the wheels are pretty nasty and could do with being replaced - but at the price, the Lyn is a great little engine.

I believe that Santa may have another one for me this Chrimbo.....

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
I've also got a question. I've been given an incomplete "Lyn" that someone has taken completely apart (don't ask!). It did strike me that perhaps one could put a Bachmann 2-4-2 chassis from their tender loco under it, though possibly the body might have to be modified to fit. No worries with that as I don't need "Lyn" herself, just a generic Baldwin 2-4-2T. Anyone have any thoughts?

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Well C&S Baldwin built many side tank loco's for use world wide. The majority of them would have been inside frames so there is no problem putting a Bachmann 2-4-2 chassis into Lyn, although as you have said you will have to do a bit of cut and paste.

Sorry, this is a 2-6-2, but I am sure that you get the idea.

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Hi Corgi,

Many thanks for the picture. I'd guessed that a 3ft gauge Baldwin would probably have inside frames, so that's good to have confirmation (though I think that image shows a standard gauge loco).

I just wondered at the relative chassis length of the two models - but as you say, a bit of cut and shut works wonders.

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Yep, that is a standard gauge loco.
I have other pics of three footers and 3' 6" but the computer is hiding them somewhere on me at the moment.

Funny how computers do that, or perhaps I should just fix up my filing system.

GlenF

G Scale, LGB, British 16mm, Live steam and electri
24 Oct 2009
Michigan, USA
www.flickr.com
Best answers
I believe Bachmann later released another version of this loco with improved motor/gears. It used the same Lyn body but it was painted black and carried the name of a US railroad. They occasionally turn up on eBay.

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Hi there,
Re Glen F's comments I have one of these & its an excellent runner, though still won't pull a big load. I am currently butchering it to lose so of the more American aspects.

Coming in late on this.

I believe the early Lyns had the motor held in with hot melt glue which err... melted when it got hot. This led to meshing problems. My Lyn is fine so far and has run quite a bit. When me round tuit arrives, I will post on my web site all my pictures of the guts of Lyn exposed during its batterification. I've redone it twice already and I really don't fancy it all disappearing yet again.

I take full responsibility for scanning the instructions upside down. This was done specifically for Ron and other antipodean railways. If anyone wants a scan the right way up, I wuld be happy to scan one. :)