bachmann 4-6-0

dumpy

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Threshfield, nr Skipton
Best answers
I have an old bachmann 4-6-0 and it really doesn't like R1 curves. My experience need R2 minimum. However all LGB locos will go round R1 as do Bachmann 0-4-0. Hope that's the sort of thing you were after.

ped

N/A
13 Dec 2009
Anglesey,North Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, I seem to remember talking about this on a thread not so long ago,there were lots of oppinions about what best radius to use, as it was said then Bachmann Annies will go around Rad 1 curves, the older Bachmann Big Haulers dont like them for some reason, it probally is best to go with bigger curves if you can, but the Rule 8 thing applies here too.

ped

N/A
13 Dec 2009
Anglesey,North Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Glen, forgot to mention, for more info on this subject, have a look in Locomotives & Trams, article ( minimum curveature) hope this is of some help.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, at last Glen.

Go for R3 minimum if you can fit them in the space you have for your layout.

What's the problem with your Annie? Is it the drivers or the pony truck?

Adding weight to the pony wheels usually sorts any derailment issues....

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
glenbrooks said:
hiya gizzy, yep am here now at last, and it seem s to be with the front 4 wheels keep coming off, how and where do you add weight?? maybe i can keep her, thanks glen

Try placing a bit of lead flashing above the wheels, maybe securing with a ty-wrap or cable tie.

I've known others to do this and it seems to solve the problem....

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Woderwick said:

The "sage" covers the problem thoroughly but do watch out for the very fine and fragile pickup wires from the truck. On one of my Annies one was pinched and on the other the solder had failed.
Also, I found that wrapping strips of lead flashing over the central bar of the truck weighted it effectively. No need to glue them.