Autumnal Action From The IOM

GHWood

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Isle Of Man
sites.google.com
Best answers
A video, firstly of my own line and featuring the County Donegal railcars along with No4 "Ardwhallin" with the Foxdale coach and tail traffic of typical manx goods stock, and then a trip down North to the Leodest and Larivane on a lovely sunny November sunday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP8k2kkHc0k

spike

It's me
24 Oct 2009
Upper Drakes Bottom
www.weathersatellite.info
Best answers
Country flag
Nice steam plumes :clap:

Love them railcars :clap: :clap:

Great vid Mike. Super steam plumes and chuffs.

I'm interested on more info on the railcar. Also is that typical to run the van between the two cars.

I do like the painted cylinders on Ardwhallin. What colour did you use? I am struggling to match the maroon on Kestrel. O can feel another few mods coming on...

GHWood

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Isle Of Man
sites.google.com
Best answers
Actually ts "Injebreck" (the Caradoc mod) that has the painted cylinders, the whole loco was repainted from the standard Accucraft green into revell EMAIL COLOR SM331.
the Railcars are scratchbuilt from thin ply and bits of moulding strip from B&Q, the inside seats are actually an old bath seal strip cut into seat sized bits. They run on a power bogie from a bachmann Mid West 45 tonner, the trailing car power bogie is...... unpowered! the passenger coach sections are running on bogies from a bachmann american christmas coach.
The practice of running a van in between the cars is prototypically Manx, when we aquired the real things from Ireland, they were to run the entire winter service on the IMR, there were no suitable turntables at the terminus stations, so they ran everywhere back to back, one hauling the other "dead", the van was added to accomodate the small amount of goods traffic that was still being carried by rail, and piped through for vacuum braking.
Although the van in the video is a standard Accucraft W/L covered van, plans are in hand to change the appearance to that of a standard IMR "G" van fairly soon. The van provides the power for the railcars, converted expertly by NHN, inside is the radio receiver and re-chargable batteries.
I have a soft spot for the railcars, when they were taken into service by the IMR, my dad was the first man to drive them (as he was one of the few employees with a driving licence for road vehicles!), as a consequence I got to travel in the cab with him on quite a few occasions. they were incredibly noisy, I guess health and safety would insist on ear defenders at least wre they still operational.