AUTO UNCOUPLERS

Clive

Drama - acting, Woodwork, G Scale, railways
22 Jan 2010
Leicester
Best answers
Country flag
It is the end of a branch line with a reversing loop for the loc to back up and head from whence it came. A sprung auto uncoupler should detatch the train from the loco and give me a hands off operation. NO! The uncoupler seldom works. Have modified the coupling eye by taking off the 'ridge', put a stronger (minimal) spring on the coupling and one ot two other minor alterations. Result - intermittant success at scale crawling speed. ANY HELPFUL HINTS, ADVICE, TIPS on how to improve matters PLEASE. the passing loops are on a slight curve at the uncoupling end, so I know this won't help BUT space is extremely limited.
THANKS

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Only one hook! Either the truck or loco has a hook, the other only the loop. LGB even say that for their electric uncouplers a mechanical uncoupler will have to be placed next to it if both vehicles are hooked. 'Owzat?
:D

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
A slight gradient at the critical point may also help. If the train is buffered up when uncoupling the hook(s) will drop easier. However the train will need to be stationary, with the loco moving and a short distance ahead by the time the hook(s) rise again.

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Some tips :
1) Give the uncoupling ramp spring some more tension. Its a flat piece of spring steel and needs a slight bend in it to force the ramp up.
2) Turn the ramp so that the drop arm hits the steeper part of the ramp.
With the black auto ramps & the black plastic springs I think LGB envisoned some sort of selective uncoupling, which we don't want, so with increasing degrees of desperation...
3) Look around for an early red ramp - they had a coil spring and were designed to compliment the early coupling springs.
4) Turn your trains so the uncoupling hook is on the stock, not the loco. This one sounds stupid, but its my way of making the crappy electric ramps more reliable with a variety of american stock, so it might work for the auto's at a pinch.

Tip 1 is the killer - my last railway was completely hands off with 11 sprung points and five ramps so they had to work. If you get nowhere at all, then PM me and I'll send you one of my modified auto's. It's certainly worth persevering with.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I use a 2 LGB uncouplers butted up together at my terminus station Sheringham, because I do have hooks on both ends of my rolling stock.

This is due to having a couple of reversal chords on my layout.

These work reasonably well enough, but sometimes, usually if I'm filming, they don't always work properly!

You can see how I've done this here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGSD45IraEU

Clive

Drama - acting, Woodwork, G Scale, railways
22 Jan 2010
Leicester
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks - Great advice as ever . Will report back.

UKSGR

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Bournemouth
Best answers
Country flag
Is there any other system for automatic uncoupling@

adeshers

More sense than money .. more stupidity than sense
6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I've seen some Youtube videos of that coupler or one very similar. It probably needs a solenoid to pull the lever. The solenoid is most likely radio controlled.

UKSGR

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Bournemouth
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Try looking at the device in "Explore the World of LGB" the Hardback one. On P175 there are details of LGB 64540 Switching Coupler Set. This looks to be very interesting, though not sure how availability of it and the different "Penolum Coupler Hook" is.
JonD

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
adeshers said:
SGR said:
Is there any other system for automatic uncoupling@

Have a look at this http://www.modell-werkstatt.de/lokomotiven/automatische-kupplung-bausatz.html

I don't know how or if it works.

I was sort of interested in this beastie so did a Google Translate on it. This is what came out:-

The kit version includes all the necessary parts without the original LGB coupling.
The building description is clear, the assembly easy.
These can be shared and then easily against a normal Hake / eye coupling eg by servo or electric motor can be controlled through a digital decoder and some features as follows:
- Disconnection of single and double hook
- The coupling hook is tilted sideways, so a possible decoupling of the curve
- Control possible using a standard servo
- Clutch in disengaged position may remain indefinitely
- E.g. for coasting on Abrollberg

DBGM www.FERTIG-Modellbahnen.de (D) 2004

Matching decoders are e.g. Massoth eMotion 8FL (8-function decoder with 2 servo outputs), Massoth eMotion L (1,9 A locomotive decoder with a power output), just as there are from 69 or Zimo Zimo MX MX 82

I recommend for example a servo the No. FS 61 BB Carbon Company Seal
JonD