ATSF 50' Boxcar

supagav

USA standard gauge in the late 1960's, in 1:29th.
30 Oct 2009
Oban, Scotland
www.facebook.com
Best answers
The next step is to mount the body mount Kadee 830 couplers. I prefer the body mounting as it gives a nice close coupling and also looks more prototypical. The following two pictures show the brake pipes before they are added and an after shot showing the coupler and hose mounted on to the boxcar:

supagav

30 Oct 2009
Oban, Scotland
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Note in the last photo, the small lip on the aristo car needs to be trimmed off with a razor saw and filed flat with the underside of the car. I make a samll shim out of styrene sheet, the same size as the base of the kadee 830, to lower the coupler to the right height for the kadee gauge. This can vary depending on the car so it can often be a little bit of trial and error:

supagav

30 Oct 2009
Oban, Scotland
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Next I cut two small lengths of single core cable (I'm sorry but I can't remember what gauge it is! I try to make it approximately the same diameter as the USAT pipe.) I then snip the end of another USAT brake pipe to use on the end of the hose. This part is originally found on the NW2 model but I order them in bulk as I use them for almost everything! Note in the second photo I actually have run out of those hoses so I had to show you what I don't use! I only use the end piece and not the rest of the pipe.

supagav

30 Oct 2009
Oban, Scotland
www.facebook.com
Best answers
I drill out each end using a small bit in a pin vice, and attach the hose pieces together with a small drop of Super Glue. Here is a final picture of the completed car, with the some weathering visable on the trucks. The only thing left is to paint the coupler a light rust colour, but I'll probably do that once I have varnished the car to seal in the weathering powders. I also normally add a coupler lift bar as the Aristo boxcars don't have them, unlike those from USA Trains. I'll post some more photos of that modification when I can.

supagav

30 Oct 2009
Oban, Scotland
www.facebook.com
Best answers
I hope this gives you some ideas? I use this technique for almost all of our equipment, it also works great on locos too! Please see the following photos for some more examples. Thanks for looking, and again please don't hesitate to drop me a message if you have any questions or suggestions.

All the best,
Gavin

Doc R

Hill walking, Boys' Brigade leader, model railways
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Stupendous pics Gav, truly excellent modelling/weathering. Keep them coming please, with plenty of explanations or how you layer up the weathering/powders etc.

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Hi Gavin
What a difference a few mods can make to a Boxcar :clap: Really like the step by step guild a real big help if i ever go down the line of weathering my USAT stock :applause:

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Gavin reeeaaal Niiiice....mmmm

I do love weathered stock. And yours is superb.
After the disappointment that summer and the long evenings have gone, I always look forward to the nights spent kitbashing and weathering both stock and buildings.
I have a ton of stuff to do this year and have stocked up on all the air cannisters, paints, chalks, pastels, oils, rust products and matt varnishes ready for the onslaught. :clap:
It is really theraputic aint it......except when it goes wrong a bit :eek:

supagav

30 Oct 2009
Oban, Scotland
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Thank you for your kind words Mike!

I know exactly what you mean. The weather up on the north west coast of Scotland can often contain all four seasons in one day, so it's always nice to have a whole heap of projects lined up to carry you through those rainy spells! I'm the same, I have a massive amount of stuff in various stages of progress, some waiting on new parts, some on paints, and others on the inspiration to finish them off. I guess thats half the pleasure of it all though... I can't wait to lock myself away for a while over xmas and get down to some real modelling therapy!

All the best,
Gavin

supagav

30 Oct 2009
Oban, Scotland
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Here is a photo of me, as asked, operating our SP NW2 at our open day a few months ago. I'll take some better pictures of the loco and post them when I can. This engine is based on some photos of the real #1906 and features new modified handrails, a front battery box, canvas sunshades and a few other small details that were present on the original.

All the best,
Gavin

supagav

30 Oct 2009
Oban, Scotland
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Thanks very much Ross :)

Thats a really good idea! I've got an article hopefully appearing soon in the G Scale Journal, but Garden Rail would be great.

Must have a look into that!

Thanks again,
Gavin

supagav

30 Oct 2009
Oban, Scotland
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Hi,

Sorry been pretty busy lately at work. Here is a photo of the my NW2 as asked. She has a few details added, different handrails, a battery box on the front, new brake hoses etc.

Thanks again,
Gavin

Doc R

Hill walking, Boys' Brigade leader, model railways
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Well done Gav, that's a really nice shot - not just the loco, which is excellent, but the overall scene too. Is the shed in the background a commercial kit (Pola?) or a scratchbuild?

Inspired by your efforts I've just had a go at weathering a pair of D&RGW coal gondolas... just the varnishing to go now, so perhaps I'll post some pics when they're finished.

supagav

30 Oct 2009
Oban, Scotland
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Thanks for your kind words Ian :)

The shed in the background is actually a wholesale lumber yard, which recieves deliveries of cut lumber from our sawmill complex further down the line. Its actually a kitbash of two pola buildings joined together, with a load of extra details added. It's still waiting on a sign on the roof to complete the buidling and some more stacked timber boards inside.

All the best,
Gavin