Artificial grass.

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
When asked about an artificial grass a member used the reply was Astroturf. I think this is a generic name for a whole plethora of different types. I particularly like that on The Lazy Bay layout.

At the moment my track lies on gravel boards (which are prone to warping in this heat). I am considering laying artificial grass between the boards. It would be laid directly on top of stone chippings which is the greater part of my garden and would therefore be walked on.

Is there a particular type of artificial grass favoured by GSC members please?

Thank you.

SW

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Sarah - I just bought a roll (4m x 1m) from Home Bargains. My embankment is just made from old rubble and the 'grass' is stapled to the wooden track bed (from the underside of the 'grass') and bent over. The other edge is tucked down next to my drive. I cut the roll lengthways to give an 8 metre run if I required it - at the moment I still have three metres to play with!

12.05.17 - 45 Tonner - own web site (4).JPG

Reactions: 1 user

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Saraha .
I bought mine on a roll after asking for a sample ..i bought the shortest lenght of grass i could , as it would to me be more in scale with the cows and sheep...it turned out to be the cheapest which was nice

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you Mike and Trammyo.

Where did you buy your grass and is there a trade name to it please?

SW

Last edited:

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
A local DIY shop is selling off 1/2m x 1/2m rubber backed carpet tiles. As I mentioned in my original topic my back yard is laid with stone chippings and I will need about 55 tiles..

What thoughts do members have please, if I were to lay these tiles over the stones and then lay artificial grass over the carpet tiles? The tiles are certainly reasonable quality.

I might even get away with putting my track straight on to the grass.

SW

Last edited:

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Bought mine over 10 years ago Shara , online ...carnt say much more ...artificial grass ..astro turf are generic names for the same thing...
Are the carpet tiles sold as weatner proff... ? If not they may not last..

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Mike. I should think the easy answer if I ask is "no". However the backing is good sturdy rubber and laying one on my stone chippings provides good support when walking on it.

I'm almost inclined to go with them and risk £35.00 but I just wanted members thoughts.

SW

D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
2017-09-20 11.07.24.jpg

I have some rubber paving slabs from Homebase that I've used on my layout. See the photo below with the slabs between the grass and the TEE set.

They have been since cut to fit the curvature of the track bed edging, and just lay on top of the horticultural grit that is my ballast.....

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
D

Deleted member 4232

Moved

Last edited by a moderator:

dunnyrail