DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone tried converting 2 Bachmann trams in to one 2 car articulated tram?

I was just purusing the www as you do and the mind started wonder (or deviate as my wife says) as it is prone to do and I wondered what if ........

Is anyone aware of a Bachmann tram style articulated tram I could look at basing a model on?

All just pondering at the moment but I think it would make a nice wee project.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I think you will find the Articulated Tram is somewhat more modern than the Bachmann offerings. Something like this could be made possibly with the Bachmann two or perhaps 3 though looking somewhat older. This is commonly called as “2 rooms and a bath” by tram nuts.
76F4AACD-D4FA-4A4C-890F-20526F1D1C5F.jpeg

LVT

Analogue automated LGB Euro on 4 loops
24 Oct 2009
Near Atlantic City NJ USA
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone tried converting 2 Bachmann trams in to one 2 car articulated tram?

I was just purusing the www as you do and the mind started wonder (or deviate as my wife says) as it is prone to do and I wondered what if ........

Is anyone aware of a Bachmann tram style articulated tram I could look at basing a model on?

All just pondering at the moment but I think it would make a nice wee project.
I have found a reference to such a contraption in “the Time of the Trolley” published in 1967. It was called “two rooms and a bath” because two single truck cars each had one platform end removed and a box-like entrance compartment suspended between them. In 1912 Boston, Massachusetts found this such an efficient way to make use of obsolete single truck (Bachmann-like) cars that 68 copies were made. Author William Middleton notes that such creations also were to be found in Europe, but he gives no locations. Could be an interesting model.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
How can others find these things and I don't, thank you all.

Apart from the 4 wheel cars having 7 windows versus Bachmann models having 6 windows, I think this would make a nice and unusual model, I just need to workout how the middle section would look and be mounted.

I have plenty of Bachmann tram conversions to do to keep me busy for a good wee while yet.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Here's the "Peter Witt" car in G scale sold by Bachmann:

3685218.jpg

Also Aristo made a more modern car:

SideView.jpg

Would think you could make something of either of these.

Greg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Looks like I was wrong about older vehicles, the 2x4 wheeler looks to be the thing if you can live with the different window configuration. But I do not see that as being a big thing to fix with the Bachman cars as a starting point.
Two rooms and a bath tram has been added to the list, I just need time to crack on with things.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
Since 2015 this tram hasn't been finisheed. After the grey painting on the roof peelt off, I lost the interest in it. Now I'm starting it again. At the moment I'm electrifiying it with different lights. Also I'm working in the weelos and motorizing theme.

56640-modellbau-vestische-13.11.2014.jpg

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
That is one of the most useful images I've seen, assuming of course it's an accurate model, thanks.
If it's in brass, it's likely to be accurate (for cost reasons) :think:

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for the image, I don't suppose their is anymore details to accompany this one?
How much detail do you want? :) Actually, the drawing is from a patent for a device to operate the trolley rope from inside the vehicle and the articulation of the car is not addressed. A second drawing shows the application of the device to a non-articulated car, but is probably irrelevant to your project. Apart from that, there are several paragraphs describing the device and it might be possible to build a working model, if you want that much detail after sorting out the articulation. (The brass HO model doesn't have this and it might not have ever made it to production.) US1071644A - Railway-car. - Google Patents

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
How much detail do you want? :) Actually, the drawing is from a patent for a device to operate the trolley rope from inside the vehicle and the articulation of the car is not addressed. A second drawing shows the application of the device to a non-articulated car, but is probably irrelevant to your project. Apart from that, there are several paragraphs describing the device and it might be possible to build a working model, if you want that much detail after sorting out the articulation. (The brass HO model doesn't have this and it might not have ever made it to production.) US1071644A - Railway-car. - Google Patents
Thank you, once I get away from the chaos of family boxing day gathering I'll have a good read.
After asking the question about a Bachmann type tram articulation, I feel obliged to try and build my interpretation of a two rooms and a bath tram.

FatherMcD

Registered
13 Mar 2014
Idaho
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
I trust you had a good Christmas.

Thank you, I have looked and looked on line using terms from the patent and still cannae find anything relating to the patent, think I need a lesson in words to use when searching the www.

Their is absolutely no excuse for me not to try this conversion of two trams next, thanks.