Aristo T.E. Pulse Width Control with non Aristo loco's

Dieseldonkey

Registered
16 Mar 2010
Near Edinburgh, Scotland
Best answers
Hi,

I've just bought a secondhand Aristo Train Engineer. I notice that when its set to P.W.C instead of linear power I can keep the lights on on my LGB loco's even when its stationary. I understand the concept of how this works, however the instructions state that this feature should only be used on Aristo loco's.

Can anybody tell me if using PWC on LGB stock will damage them.

Thanks
Dieseldonkey

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yes it very probably will. Electronic components do not like the spikes included in PWC.

I jut keep my TE on normal. The one time I did have it on PWC the electronics in my SD70 blew. The TE on PWC is the reason why LGB stated that their warranty is invalid if non LB controllers are used.

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
The answer is, "It depends." Without knowing WHICH specific LGB locos, nobody can really give you a simple yes/no answer.

Generally, the most of the other brands' (LGB, aftermarket, etc.) track powered sound boards don't like PWC at all. If all your loco has is a basic motor, lights and 18v smoke, like the old 4 digit LGB locos (those without the 'S' suffix, anyway), they'll run perfectly fine on it. I've run non-sound Stainz variants, Moguls, and Porters on PWC for over a decade using PWC with absolutely no trouble at all. (I'm really fond of the Aristo/Crest 5400s - it's a nice, inexpensive power pack)

However, if your engine has sound, or LGB's MTS train control, then I probably wouldn't want to try it.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
yes

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
What Mike said. Particularly if they's digital ready.

Had terrible running problems with an MTS equipped Ulok running with the basic Orange TE (they're PWC by default). When I changed to the proper job and ran linear, no more problems.

I wouldn't risk it.

Tony

Model railways
28 Feb 2010
East coast Essex
www.facebook.com
Best answers
I only tried my lgb 0-4-0 on pwc and my sound went puff
It has (had) a chuff chuff sound that worked all the time via a read switch and magnet on one wheel and a whistle that worked over magnets in the track the minute i started running it on PWC the two tone whistle blew all the time now it runs at the same time as the chuff chuff which is nothing short of annoying as it sounds like a 70s police car on steam so ive had to unwire it, not sure if it was the PWC but its all back on normal settings now and is staying that way
tony

Dieseldonkey

Registered
16 Mar 2010
Near Edinburgh, Scotland
Best answers
Hi,

Thanks for all your replies. With the exception of my Stainz, none of my loco's have sound. I dont much like the basic Stainz sound so will likely run with it off most of the time. My only non LGB engine is a Piko BR80, again with no sound. LGB stock includes a V51/52 and 2090 0-4-0 diesel shunter. All not S suffixed.

Thanks again,
Dieseldonkey

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
The 2090 should run absolutely fine on PWC - perhaps even smoother because the higher voltage on PWC seems to work better for those of us with less than mirror shiny rails. You might want to check to see if there is a circuit board inside the 2051. If it just has the single diode thingy for the directional lights, it will be fine as well.

I'm not sure what electronics, if any are inside a Piko, and never had a Stainz with sound.... so I'm not certain there either.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
funandtrains said:
Does anyone know how the LGB MTS analogue setting is different from PWC?

Can't answer that but it raises another issue in my mind.
I believe the Piko Railbus motors, at least the early ones, only lasted for an hour or so if run on the LGB MTS analogue setting and they were sold with a warning to that effect.
This may mean that at least some Piko products may not like Aristo PWC.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Mik said:
The 2090 should run absolutely fine on PWC - perhaps even smoother because the higher voltage on PWC seems to work better for those of us with less than mirror shiny rails. You might want to check to see if there is a circuit board inside the 2051. If it just has the single diode thingy for the directional lights, it will be fine as well.

The pcb for the KoF is under the bonnet. Two screws underneath the cab and two at the bottom of the radiator grill.

My example brought 2nd hand was digital ready and had a sticker underneath on the chassis base plate with a Lok Maus printed on it. If your Locos have this sticker, then use the Linear setting on your TE as I do, and not PWC....