Anyone used TAMS decoders

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
I have fitted an TAMS L-d-g-34 chip to one of my older LGB analogue loco's. I have removed all the original analogue equipment.
The loco now works fine in digital. The chip is designed to recognise DC operation as well, which it does, however it will not change direction in DC...any ideas, anyone have experience of these decoders.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Not familiar with these decoders, but I guess you'll need a decoder programmer to check the CVs, and see if there is one that might be the cause of the problem in DC mode....

bunnyrabbit03

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
I just checked the manual.

The default setting for CV 29 is 14, i.e. normal direction, 28 or 128 speed steps, digital/analogue and RailCom activated.

Depending on your digital setup you should either set CV 29 to 14 (for 28/128 speed steps) [the default setting] or to 12 (14 speed steps). This will give you the settings as above with either 14 or 28/128 speed steps.

Additionally, you also have to 'tell' the decoder what signals a change in direction in analogue mode, i.e. a change in polarity (DC) or a sudden current peak (AC). In your case, i.e. DC, CV 12 should be 1 (for AC, CV 12 should be 0 [default setting]).

I hope this helps.

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
quote=bunnyrabbit03]

The default setting for CV 29 is 14, i.e. normal direction, 28 or 128 speed steps, digital/analogue and RailCom activated.

Depending on your digital setup you should either set CV 29 to 14 (for 28/128 speed steps) [the default setting] or to 12 (14 speed steps). This will give you the settings as above with either 14 or 28/128 speed steps.

Additionally, you also have to 'tell' the decoder what signals a change in direction in analogue mode, i.e. a change in polarity (DC) or a sudden current peak (AC). In your case, i.e. DC, CV 12 should be 1 (for AC, CV 12 should be 0 [default setting]).

I hope this helps.
[/quote]

Thanks
I changed CV 12 to 1 and it now runs in either direction[

bunnyrabbit03

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Alpineandy said:
quote=bunnyrabbit03]

I hope this helps.

Thanks
I changed CV 12 to 1 and it now runs in either direction[

[/quote]

Great, I am glad it worked.