Another problem, another 3d-printed solution

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I decided to have a go at printing some pocket couplers to replace the missing Accucraft ones on my log cars.

Ive got to say I'm pretty pleased with how they've come out on a first attempt.
20201213_151440.jpg
They can either be used with a drawbar or will accept a Bachmann metal knuckle coupler.

20201213_151410.jpg

Files shared on TinkerCAD as usual, in case they're of use to anyone else.

Attachments

• 20201213_151440.jpg
    20201213_151440.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 3 users

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Reactions: 1 users

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
They look like they have come off really well DGE. What orientation did you print them in and did you require any support material? I've been playing around printing buffers trying to find a good compromise

Reactions: 1 user

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
They look like they have come off really well DGE. What orientation did you print them in and did you require any support material? I've been playing around printing buffers trying to find a good compromise
Hey Ricky,

I printed them on end, coupler-end up. My printing software is set to automatically add supports, so it prints with some support underneath the top of the coupler, to support it.

I don't know if it's right or not but I tend to orientate my prints with the detail on the top wherever I can. If I can see it will likely need support, I'll try and keep that on the side I'm least likely to see :)

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
Hey Ricky,

I printed them on end, coupler-end up. My printing software is set to automatically add supports, so it prints with some support underneath the top of the coupler, to support it.

I don't know if it's right or not but I tend to orientate my prints with the detail on the top wherever I can. If I can see it will likely need support, I'll try and keep that on the side I'm least likely to see :)
That all sounds quite sensible to me. I've been enabling ironing (I think that's the setting name) to really maximise the quality of the detail on the top layer. I've been pushing it I think as to what can be done without supports so far, like printing buffers as one piece facing up and letting the head print without support. I had been avoiding enabling support because I was worried about how it would effect the surface quality, but your part look spot on :)

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
That all sounds quite sensible to me. I've been enabling ironing (I think that's the setting name) to really maximise the quality of the detail on the top layer. I've been pushing it I think as to what can be done without supports so far, like printing buffers as one piece facing up and letting the head print without support. I had been avoiding enabling support because I was worried about how it would effect the surface quality, but your part look spot on :)
I've been experimenting with ironing (in Cura) as well. I'm pleased with the results so far. Straight off the printer....IMG_1293.JPG

Still need to fix the stringing and slight pillowing, but ironing does improve the top layer(s)

Rik

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Ooo. Ironing does make for a nice finish. I hadn't come across that before.

I tend to use SImplify3D and will look into it. It seems as though even if the software doesn't have the feature, the process is essentially a case of adding a very thin top layer (0.1 - 0.05mm), the smallest possible multiplier for the extrusion and a reduction in the speed. So it should be possible to achieve whatever software is used