AIRWIRE900

soo4513

Registered
14 Nov 2009
Inverness
Best answers
Country flag
Does anyone know if the Airwire 900 is legal for use in the UK? The DCC compatibility make this an attract system for me as it would allow use of soundtraxx sound decoders which are significantly less expensive than the alternative phoenix sound units.

Thanks

Colin

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
The USA version isn't, but TM Models are the UK agents

Rod Fearnley

Santa Fe and Burlington Northern at amalgamation
29 Oct 2009
Mid Norfolk
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
They are not legal in the UK. But if I had one, I would also be able to use the very cheap sound system from MRC. I bought a whole load of the diesel sound sets at $10.oo each.
Bram have you got a link to TM models please. All i got was an E-Bay link?
Rod

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Rod Fearnley said:
They are not legal in the UK. But if I had one, I would also be able to use the very cheap sound system from MRC. I bought a whole load of the diesel sound sets at $10.oo each.
Bram have you got a link to TM models please. All i got was an E-Bay link?
Rod

It's T & M Models, missed the and, they don't appear to have a www but the phone number is 01270 216200 and email is tm.models@btinternet.com

Hope this helps

Hughieb

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hi,

I think that T & M sell Locolinc, which as far as I know is UK legal. Don't know about them selling Airwire.

Hughieb

Rod Fearnley

29 Oct 2009
Mid Norfolk
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I also have a Locolink system, but it is the U.S. version. Also illegal in this Country. So I no longer use it. It is very old hat compared with AirWire. Its one saving grace is its onboard ability to change between onboard batteries and track power automatically, using whichever is the stronger input.
If anybody is interested in the Locolink, please PM me.
Rod

Hughieb

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hi,

Just found a T & M brochure in which it says about Locolinc " Now available on 40 MHz FM UK approved frequency"

It doesn't mention Airwire at all though.

Out of interest what frequency are the US spec. ones Rod ? I believe 75 MHz is in widely used for models in the US but is not allowed here. I think the same situation exists in reverse for the 40 MHz used here for models.

Hughieb

Rod Fearnley

29 Oct 2009
Mid Norfolk
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hughie, I have just been through the whole Tech manual, and Nada! Dosn't appear anywhere. However here is the e-mail contact address, if you want to check.
[h2]Info@locolinc.com[/h2] Rod

soo4513

Registered
14 Nov 2009
Inverness
Best answers
Country flag
I emailed CVP products who confirmed that the airwire is for use in North/South America, Canada and Japan only. Pity, it would have allowed the use of DCC sound decoders. At the moment I use RCS which I really like but the cost of equipping additional locos including phoenix sound boards is alot of cash and I was looking around for a more cost effective solution.

Colin

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
soo4513 said:
I emailed CVP products who confirmed that the airwire is for use in North/South America, Canada and Japan only. Pity, it would have allowed the use of DCC sound decoders. At the moment I use RCS which I really like but the cost of equipping additional locos including phoenix sound boards is alot of cash and I was looking around for a more cost effective solution.

Colin

Colin,

MyLocoSound soundcards are compatible with RCS and are alot lower cost than Phoenix and Soundtraxx. You can see them at http://www.mylocosound.com/ < Link To www.mylocosound.com

Peter