AIR TRAVEL AND LITH BATTERIES

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
My problem with that is, it is for the initiated. The uninitiated, don't know, don't understand, don't care, so will check-in and walk-on with whatever they feel like.

Like this recent thing about you may not carry any electronic device that you cannot switch on demonstrably. Without stopping and checking EVERYONE, it cannot possibly be enforced. I bought a new Sat-Nav on the strength of that, as the battery life on the old one was down to seconds; did anybody check it? Nope!

To most people a battery, is a battery, is a battery. It just makes that thing work.

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Going to be interesting to see how its policed hold baggage is not examined until you get to your destination, carry on baggage is checked... So what has LIPOs in it? Li-Ions are in most consumer goods...

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Baggage checks these days are done on people who fit the demographic of smugglers eg 10 trips a year to Cambodia for 3 days at a time and sniffer dogs go over every bag looking for explosives and or drugs but I have not heard of Lipo dogs.... I fully support stringent security of airline baggage but its best to remain alert not alarmed. These new regs must oly apply sometimes and some routes, I can still get blue lipos from China by air.... I wonder if its because they sendf the charger with it???

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
ROSS said:
(As an aside. Infringements of CAA flying rules (altho of models rules mainly UAVs - drones to you) have been quite severe.
Couple of months ago a fine of £7k was imposed on a UK aero modeller for and infringement around Cumbria).

Somewhat less Ross. £800 plus £3500 costs according to the CAA's own article.
http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=14&pagetype=65&appid=7&mode=detail&nid=2348

I suspect that despite the merits of the battery ban, the likelihood of the average airport checker being able to spot a particular type of battery is rather lower than a UAV operator being spotted flying a drone over VSEL's submarine building complex in Barrow-in-Furness....

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
It strikes me that it is one thing to know what replaceable batteries you might have fitted to a device but quite another to know what 'embedded' batteries there might be.
Do many people read the small print on them? CAN anyone read some of the miniscule dark red on black even with a magnifying glass? I know I can't.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Is it not also the point that any one passenger may have three or four items with batteries that potentially could be lithos. I have no idea what type of battery that Sat-Nav has fitted, every chance it could be a litho being that new. With the amount of time it takes for me to remove my shoes and belt, and all the change and other items from my pockets and place them in the tray, then collect and replace them afterwards, add checking three battery items to that and I need to be at the airport at least 4 hours before take-off, not the current three (I also always seem to be the 'random' check in the scanner). I see no truly workable solution other than 'sod it' and stay at home.

Over to the battery boffins to produce something safer I'd say.

Beddhist

Motorcycle travel, trains
16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
bobg said:
add checking three battery items to that and I need to be at the airport at least 4 hours before take-off, not the current three

You can do this check at home, in quiet, using a magnifying glass, since that is where you decide what to put into your suitcase and what in the hand luggage.

As an aside, flying out of Frankfurt the other day my backpack was selected after X-ray for special attention. As usual, it contained lots of wiring, the GPS (with Li batt.) and my camera with 4 NimH cells. They just took the camera and swabbed its pouch for explosives. The rest was ignored.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Beddhist said:
You can do this check at home, in quiet, using a magnifying glass, since that is where you decide what to put into your suitcase and what in the hand luggage.

Not always practical to leave stuff at home, and Security isn't going to take your word for it that it hasn't got banned batteries, they will want to check it themselves.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
ROSS said:
You may have your wish...saltwater batteries are in the pipeline and supposedly better than Liths.....I await them with interest!
Salt water batteries? I have an immediately post WW2 ex RAF one which the last time I checked it a couple of years ago it still worked even though I had trialled it more than once and then washed it out with clean water each time.

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
" Air travel & lith batteries " I would never feel happy in an aircraft powered by batteries O0

Beddhist

Motorcycle travel, trains
16 Oct 2013
Glenbervie, NZ
beddha.free.fr
Best answers
Country flag
bobg said:
Not always practical to leave stuff at home, and Security isn't going to take your word for it that it hasn't got banned batteries, they will want to check it themselves.

Sorry, mis-understanding on my part. I thought you meant that you had to check 3 battery items to see whether they contain Li batteries, but you seem to mean that these will have to be individually checked by security staff.

I just put my laptop and GPS into a tray out of the bag and they go straight through. You will add approx. 30 secs per item scanning time. :)

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Beddhist said:
You will add approx. 30 secs per item scanning time. :)

Yup, for every single person travelling. Average three items each maybe more, with all the attendant fumbling and forgetfulness of the general public that will add at least five minutes per pax, 240 pax per plane . . . . .

Hardly practical to check every single item, or reasonable.