trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Well, I got busy yesterday evening with the plastics glue I had in stock. I'd already tried it on Rusty's headlight the previous evening so I continued gluing it together.

Back on track (4).JPG

What I had not noticed was the fact that one of the wheels on the front axle was at an angle and that the cylinder on the same side was loose! Some damage! So the wheel was sorted, then the cylinder had to be glued back on. I left the latter overnight nestling in the jaws of a plastic ratchet clamp.

All was OK this morning so it was given a run round ....

Back on track (3).JPG

There was a tiny piece of plastic missing from the headlight bracket so I compensated by inserting two brass pins underneath.

Last trip round before being packed and put in the car...

Back on track (6).JPG

The next one for treatment was the ubiquitous (as in green, four or five of) ETWNC loco.

I had to drill the pin out of the crosshead, use a 2mm dia brass screw (with plain shank - didn't want a continuous threaded one as it would have milled away at the con rod end) to secure the connecting rod. With the new connection made it was just a matter of glueing the slide bar assembly back in position.

I also repaired the whistle - which got broken off in the car - by drilling a 1mm hole in that and the dome. Another brass pin joined it all together. So the loco was also given a few run round this morning before joining Rusty in the car.

Back on track (1).JPG

Back on track (2).JPG
All the alpine plants have sunburn!

So two down, one to go! I maybe some time.

Reactions: 1 user

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Well, I got busy yesterday evening with the plastics glue I had in stock. I'd already tried it on Rusty's headlight the previous evening so I continued gluing it together.

View attachment 240565

What I had not noticed was the fact that one of the wheels on the front axle was at an angle and that the cylinder on the same side was loose! Some damage! So the wheel was sorted, then the cylinder had to be glued back on. I left the latter overnight nestling in the jaws of a plastic ratchet clamp.

All was OK this morning so it was given a run round ....

View attachment 240566

There was a tiny piece of plastic missing from the headlight bracket so I compensated by inserting two brass pins underneath.

Last trip round before being packed and put in the car...

View attachment 240567

The next one for treatment was the ubiquitous (as in green, four or five of) ETWNC loco.

I had to drill the pin out of the crosshead, use a 2mm dia brass screw (with plain shank - didn't want a continuous threaded one as it would have milled away at the con rod end) to secure the connecting rod. With the new connection made it was just a matter of glueing the slide bar assembly back in position.

I also repaired the whistle - which got broken off in the car - by drilling a 1mm hole in that and the dome. Another brass pin joined it all together. So the loco was also given a few run round this morning before joining Rusty in the car.

View attachment 240569

View attachment 240570
All the alpine plants have sunburn!

So two down, one to go! I maybe some time.

An excellent half day's work there, Mick.

Reactions: 1 user

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
So I made an effort today - it seems like ages since I've done anything train related in the shed but it was only a couple of week ago! Anyway this BH had committed an act of self destruction - here's a pic again of the unusual wheel arrangement:rolleyes:....

99980_e49c5303b0873ea817578cee340b7c91.jpg

... it could take both tracks at once on a wye!

Obviously, two of the axles have split or at least that's what I hoped had happened. It turned out to be the case....

DSCF9867.JPG

Close-ups .....

DSCF9868.JPG

The worst axle was the centre one - the plastic joiner had split in two!

DSCF9868.JPG

This was not the first time has I found traces of glue on the two halves. So I tried gluing them together and it seemed to work. However, when I tried inserting the metal stubs, the plastic split again. Try as I might, I could neither find any plastic tube or metal. The nominal OD of the plastic was a fraction under 10mm - one end being slightly larger than the other!

Eventually, after finding my missing brain cells, I started looking for 10mm brass olives - which took some time! I used a 10mm compression stop end to compress the olive on the narrower end, then when the fitting was removed, I drove (as in hammered) an olive over the wider end. Both sets of axle stubs for the two wheelsets were degreased (as were the plastic sleeves) and an activator was used on the metal before applying the glue and inserting into the sleeves. Pics of the the completed reassembly below...

DSCF9870.JPG

The narrower olive is the compressed one.

DSCF9871.JPG

....and back together again!

DSCF9872.JPG

And, finally, a (rail) road test!

DSCF9873.JPG

Loco was/is OK - more than can be said of the knuckle couplings on the coach:banghead:

That's another story.