Adding a working Clock

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Has anybody added a working clock to a building that lives outside ? Looking for ideas ,

I could buy a motorcycle waterproof clock like below but not very realistic looking, but they do keep time fairly well work in the rain and temp doesn't bother them too much I have had one for three years on my handle bars.

mc.jpg

I was thinking about adding two faces to my church tower one on either side so I could use quartz movements and add my own hands and numbers but I assume water would get into the spindles and rust them . I looked for a double face movement as it would probably be more waterproof as it would sit in the middle of my tower, found one, but I am going to need a lot bigger tower to fit one in :rofl:

This is the look I am after the external parts are easy to print , but not sure how long the clock mechanism would last before water go into it ? and how to keep it out without putting a plastic face over it which would look a bit naff.

125766475_1553302571508182_5288675658685631510_n.jpg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have had one of those Paddington twin clock thingies (not scale if course) in my garden for about 3 years now, in a supposedly water proof case and yes the spindles have rusted a little.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
I've got a couple of those too Jon, but they do keep reasonable time. The mechanism inside appears identical to that found in the Poundland clocks. They are not that big and might fit in the centre of the tower with a lengthened spindle to keep the working bits well away from potential water ingress. Worth a quid to see how it goes?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Most of the quartz clocks have plastic gears, so if the spindle gets a tad rusty it shouldn't matter to much, but how about a grommet stuck to the inside of the tower with the spindle pushed through?

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
The Quartz mech will fit inside my tower I can get two in there back to back I think might have to change how the battery is fitted, so they can be replaced. They do come with different shaft lengths so the ;longest will probably be the best

I can fit or seal where the shaft comes through the wall so there wont be water ingress into the tower that way, it was more of a concern if water wicks into the spindle what can it rust that would stop the clock.

The more I have looked at it, it looks like the quartz movements are the only real way to do it and if it fails I end up with a realistic clock stuck on smiley face time , ten too two

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
The Quartz mech will fit inside my tower I can get two in there back to back I think might have to change how the battery is fitted, so they can be replaced. They do come with different shaft lengths so the ;longest will probably be the best

I can fit or seal where the shaft comes through the wall so there wont be water ingress into the tower that way, it was more of a concern if water wicks into the spindle what can it rust that would stop the clock.

The more I have looked at it, it looks like the quartz movements are the only real way to do it and if it fails I end up with a realistic clock stuck on smiley face time , ten too two
Or pub o clock like the PM one on my PM Station 4pm.

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
I've got a couple of those too Jon, but they do keep reasonable time. The mechanism inside appears identical to that found in the Poundland clocks. They are not that big and might fit in the centre of the tower with a lengthened spindle to keep the working bits well away from potential water ingress. Worth a quid to see how it goes?
I had one of the two faced 'station' clocks too. One of them had a additional screw together plastic case that enclosed the standard 3" quartz mech with a hole for the spindle in it. That particular clock was still running fine after the metal frame of the clock rusted away and it fell off the wall. (About 6 years.)
I'm pretty sure you can buy those plastic enclosures from a hobby supplier.
NB: As for wicking, (Capillary action?) That clock ran through the very harsh winter we had a while back without a problem. If there had been water in the spindle tube, I'd have expected it to freeze, but she kept on ticking... All I ever did was spray it with WD 40 when I changed the batteries.
Paul.

Last edited:

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Decided to go the Quartz route , thanks for all the answers.

I have ordered one from Amazon so I should be able to try one in the tower tonight :) Printed a test clock face at 55mm dia, all the numbers will be Gold in color which seems a common thing on a black Ring.

clock2.jpg

LGB-Sid

Registered
19 Sep 2016
UK
Best answers
Country flag
You just can't get the Staff nowadays :rofl: :rofl: there seems to have been an error on the procurement front o_O

clock3.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
You just can't get the Staff nowadays :rofl: :rofl: there seems to have been an error on the procurement front o_O

View attachment 276342
Ive got to hand it to you, you're giving the workers in the fields a chance to see the time.
I was going to suggest trying to get the spindle to point very slightly downward, so that any water would run away from the gearbox.

Reactions: 1 user