Acrylic Paint and Methfix Transfers

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
So, having used acrylic paints applied by brush of mu OcCre Streetcar, I thought I would try them out on a couple of wagons I had nearly completed (not G Gauge), so were painted last week. This week the transfers (decals) that came with the kits which are Meths Application (Methfix) are to be applied. Meths bought, instructions read, and first wagon ready to go. When the transfer was attached the carried paper was soaked in water to to remove it, and then blotted away. What a surprise I got when I found the meths had softened the paint, and the paint wiped off, luckily, not to much damage, and less meths solution on the next set of transfers.

Has anybody else come across this, and is there a solution :)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
So, having used acrylic paints applied by brush of mu OcCre Streetcar, I thought I would try them out on a couple of wagons I had nearly completed (not G Gauge), so were painted last week. This week the transfers (decals) that came with the kits which are Meths Application (Methfix) are to be applied. Meths bought, instructions read, and first wagon ready to go. When the transfer was attached the carried paper was soaked in water to to remove it, and then blotted away. What a surprise I got when I found the meths had softened the paint, and the paint wiped off, luckily, not to much damage, and less meths solution on the next set of transfers.

Just been to look at my OC Models Methfix instructions.

It says apply transfer where required and wet with a mix of 3 parts meths to 1 part water. I apply with a small paintbrush then wait a minute or two, when the paper has impregnated it should allow you move off with some tweezers leaving the lettering in place. For a while the individual letters should still be movable when damp. If you have some spare lettering give this a try.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Just been to look at my OC Models Methfix instructions.

It says apply transfer where required and wet with a mix of 3 parts meths to 1 part water. I apply with a small paintbrush then wait a minute or two, when the paper has impregnated it should allow you move off with some tweezers leaving the lettering in place. For a while the individual letters should still be movable when damp. If you have some spare lettering give this a try.
My instructions are very similar, though the carrier paper should be dampened when the meths has dried, however, a little over zealous on my first application, which caused the problem.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

As soon as I saw the title I knew what the question would be.

I use metho as to dilute acrylic paints before airbrushing instead of paint thinners that can attack plastics, a little trick I picked up from some plastic static modellers where I worked.

I also use it to soften paint when I am stripping back models.

Isopropyl alcohol will do the same thing.

A possible solution is to put down some clear enamel paint where the decal is to be applied, static guys use gloss for better adhesion, to keep the metho away from the acrylic. after decals dry a matt or satin clear coat is applied to protect the decal and hide the gloss

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

I've not seen methfix in years, so I have only applied them to enamel paints - without issue

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Rather old Slaters kits £20.95 each, now over £40.00
You may be able to get away with an enamel varnish over the acrylic paint - but you have to be careful, it can cause crazing. Worth doing a test first.