A tale of two Lyns...........

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
So, Santa was very good to me at Christmas and left a Bachmann Lyn. I now have two - the one with the fried motor and the new one, which on a demo run ran really well, although as it was analogue and I run digital, I didn't want to keep doing that!

I have stripped the original down and used it to work out where I would put the digital chip and sound gubbins, when the new one arrived.

The new one has now also been stripped and the Digitrax chip, Tsunami sound chip and speaker arrived yesterday.

Unfortunately, in removing the motion from the new one, I managed to break all four plastic pins that hold the motion on. "Bother" (or something like it) was heard rather loudly coming from my workshop! I suppose that I'll have to drill out the plastic remains and, tap and fit screws to the holes - unless anyone has a better idea.

Have successfully isolated the motor and started reassembling the chassis. Lots of temporary wiring has been installed and the chip has been tested and basic programming done. That's all OK. Sound chip also hooked up in temp fashion, and although it's making basic noises, and it appears to be accepting programming, it won't respond to commands. Hmmm - I think I had this with the Stainz I converted and I can't for the life of me think how to fix it! I suppose reading the instruction manual may help?

This Lyn, will be a hybrid of both locos and the only running one - until I get the new motor (My expert is still looking!) and work out how to fix the motion attaching screws.

Anyway, most of today was spent taking down the outside Crimble decorations in common with the other guys in the street - perhaps we'll stop having F-15 from the local Air Force Base trying to land in the road now.

I'll post some photos of the on going conversion, once the hands thaw out (it's cold in this part of Florida today - about 40F during the day and going down to 27F tonight - I'm not used to this).

Any suggestions re the sound card and the wheel/motion issue would be gratefully received!

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Rolan - brilliant ideas!

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
I have been trying to find a suitable motor for a Lyn now for about 6 months with no joy, so if anybody comes up with anything IO would welcome the news.

I broke pins but when I get around to putting it back together I will see if I can knock something up on the lathe.

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
corgi said:
I have been trying to find a suitable motor for a Lyn now for about 6 months with no joy, so if anybody comes up with anything IO would welcome the news.

I broke pins but when I get around to putting it back together I will see if I can knock something up on the lathe.

Hi Ron,

I'm working with a guy over here who specializes in finding motors for model railways - he's confident that he can find something. As soon as I have something concrete, I'll be shouting about it far and wide!

I'll let you know what I find out.

Martin

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Hi Martin-

Y'all thawed out yet?

Good to hear about the new Lyn, sorry to hear about the problems in the same breath tho.

I am still wondering if a total block replacement with a Lehmann, Aristo, USA, etc might still not be a best option?

If you do not have the second one sorted, if you are still coming to the SEGRS in April/May, bring it, maybe we can get some ideas there?

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Lyn number two is now running fine with chip and sound chip.

My motor contact has suggested a Portascap motor which will fit and should be, as he says, 'smooth as glass'. That's on its way in the mail, as is a gear puller to fix the gears. I'll get all that fixed up and then publish the details, with success or otherwise. And the contact details for the motor man.

I'll report back shortly.

Lady Wife has booked the hotel for the SEGRS Show - so we should be good on that!

Martino

24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
The latest.......

The new motor is on its way. It's apparently a Portescap 2236. Cost from the Motor Man (that's what he calls himself - website is
http://www.gscalecentral.net/x-msg://52/ < Link To http://www.micro-loco-motion.com</a></font> < Link To http://www.micro-loco-motion.com) is $39.99 plus $5 shipping from Texas to Florida (including sending my old motor back). The guy is very helpful and efficient, and has worked hard to find me the right thing.

The Portescap 2236 is apparently a 9 pole motor with ball bearings - smooth as glass apparently. The Motor Man (Eldon Shirey is his real name) is emailable at
motorman@micro-loco-motion.com.

Next issue was the sheered motion pins. Spent an interesting half hour at the local Ace Hardware (don't you just love poking round hardware stores as opposed to 'Big Sheds'?) and came up with some small bolts that have hex heads for allen keys. Not only did they fit perfectly, but screw in also. Of course they fouled the connecting rod, but some judicious grinding with the Dremel and they're perfect. Good thing is they are removable with no problems, so a great improvement on the original plastic pins.

So, one Lyn is running nicely with sound and digital control and the other one looks like being on line for a return to service soon. Can't make my mind up if it's going to retain the Southern livery and be renumbered as a fictitious 'second' Baldwin for the L&B, or if it will be Lyn in its original L&B livery, or indeed if it will appear in a yet to be created 'South Buckinghamshire Railway' livery.

[size=14pt]Edited four times, because I can't spell, can't type and got all the font sizes wrong the first two times!!!!!
[/size]