A Sad Story and a Conundrum

dumpy

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Threshfield, nr Skipton
Best answers
First let me refer you to back issues of Garden Rail. In particular Sept 1997 page 10 and November 1999 page 30.
If you do not have copies then we are talking about a gentleman called Trevor Shepherd and his Clover Line railway.
The sad part is that he died (far too early) in January of this year. The even more distressing part is that I never met him although we only lived on opposite sides of the river Wharfe and both have Garden Railways.
I only came to hear of him through mutual contacts in the villages of Grassington/Threshfield.
As a result I and my one time worthy pupil (both literally and metaphorically) have acquired his railway. The pride of that which I have acquired is a snow plough
b92c3937b90943798b47a9fbdf8966f9.jpg

Now Trevor is no longer with us I am trying to work out what all the bits do. So now to the conundrum bit and any suggestions greatfully received.
First up is this snow plough which I think is Aristocraft. I should add that Trevors railway was battery powered and radio controlled ( a bit of a mystery to me)
He has modified it I think
f7b0ee649548411bacedd298db46a232.jpg

The pantograph is just for looks as its just bolted on to the top.
I think the motor is just in there for weight since no apparent connections to anywhere but if you think different ---------
The real puzzle to me is this
cd6428f92c384910b14d4727f35b4b93.jpg

Why this huge battery pack comprising 12X 1.5v batteries connected seemingly in series. There is a switch when operated turns on the light but 18volts????? Any battery removed turns off the light.
A further puzzle is wiring
e95258f165e04ef6a286457450fae2b1.jpg

I haven't taken the whole thing apart but there also seems to be wires connected to the axles/wheels an both the front and back bogies. Now given there was no power to the track what was the purpose of this?

Hope have given you something to puzzle over with your midnight cocoa.
PS ignore glass of wine in first photo. It was a good meal.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Always sad to hear of a G scalers' demise, but at least the stuff is going to a good home.

These snow ploughs/plows come factory-fitted with track connections for the front light, so that's why the wheels have pickups fitted. The bulb is rated at up to 24 volts and needs at least 15 volts to do more than glow dimly. 18 volts is a good rating which makes the bulb nice and bright without blinding. Presumably the previous owner also benefitted from the batteries' weight in the wagon.

If you want something more elegant than the defunct motor as a weight in the open part, you may want to try bags of diver's lead and disguise them as sandbags or similar. See: http://www.simplyscuba.com/manufacturers/LumbBros

hagen

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Kongsberg, Norway
Best answers
dumpy said:
I haven't taken the whole thing apart but there also seems to be wires connected to the axles/wheels an both the front and back bogies. Now given there was no power to the track what was the purpose of this?
Power to the rails from a unit in the train? possibly to power coach lights or something. Or just backup power?
were the engines capable of being charged trough the wheels/rails?
I would put as much weight in the plow as possible. In fact I am considering just mounting it directly to the engine instead of the gondola. Needs as much traction as possible.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
itsa warpfeild generture...

dumpy

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Threshfield, nr Skipton
Best answers
mike said:
Does that mean I have to get out my old lead underpants????

Thanks Whatlep for that useful info.
I presume therefore I can disconnect the battery pack and use the power pick ups since I use LGB track power.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Just google Startrek!

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
dumpy said:
I think the motor is just in there for weight since no apparent connections to anywhere but if you think different ---------
You are correct, that is only half of a motor.
I support the idea that the batteries are to provide power for a propelling loco as they feed the track via the pickups. This isn't a good idea if track power is turned on with the plough in use, disconnect them as you suggest before applying track power.

Bredebahn

Cinema, Garden Railway, Private Flying (licenced p
25 Oct 2009
A field near Rye, in beautiful East Sussex.
Best answers
At a guess he powered a propelling loco with the 18v batteries connected via the loco's lighting/power socket. The motor in the wagon is for weight and serves no other function.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
ROSS said:
mike said:
:holdon:
OK then...explanation please Mike.

its part off a faster than light speed engine:D

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
yes.. you need a navagature....

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
dumpy said:
Thanks Whatlep for that useful info.
I presume therefore I can disconnect the battery pack and use the power pick ups since I use LGB track power.

Yep. Indeed you would be well advised to do so. If the batteries are electrically connected to the track, you have the possibility of "backfeeding" locos with an uncontrolled high voltage and a potentially disastrous situation if you have DCC. Central stations do not like having DC fed into their track sockets......

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
If the switch is a change over type then it would either power the lamp from the batteries or the track so there could be no interferance from either circuit. perhaps its to light the car when parked in a siding!

dumpy

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Threshfield, nr Skipton
Best answers
Its just an on/off switch. Am going to take all the batteries out and try it to see if track power lights it. Then I'll decide whether to include a switch again.
Thanks for all help. Comforting to know there's always somebody out there with an answer.