A new 'slatted' crate (load) for my new flatcar

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Hi,
Bronson Tate in the USA make a laser cut slatted crate as a load. However I did not want to buy one from him as the postage will I suspect could be almost as much as the kit ? which is $11.00. Buyers can contact Doug Bronson as he is aware that the postal charges can be excessive; please contact him direct as he has methods of reducing it.

So I worked out a method of making one similar but not a copy to it. My version has a load inside it, and is NOT laser cut, neither will I be selling it, being hand made it can take a time to put together, it is mainly made from 1mm plywood..

It is much easier if you have a small circular saw to cut the slats, as they are the major part of it. They are cut from 1mm plywood, as that provides a wood colour without painting, but it is varnished in due course. The base is made from 1mm plasticard, w2ith pre-painted edges, and has a tarpaulin covered load on top of it, this being made from some bits of polystyrene foam (from old packaging), to an ?interesting? shape. Into the base of it I have pushed some old lead flashing (remember to wash your hands after using it) to add some weight. Glue the load to the base with PVA glue which won?t dissolve the polystyrene, and then its time to cover it. I used PVA for glue and some thick paper scrumpled up and then flattened off draped over the load, to replicate a couple of tarpaulins. Around the edge of the load I added some scrap 4mm square strips to indicate some fixing strips for the (thread) I used for ?rope?. Paint the tarpaulins with acrylic paint to suit ? mine are for an early period (1880) so are plain canvas colour, but with different levels of dirt on them. Leave it to dry, and now add the rope over the load gluing it down on the side pieces as above.

With the load now complete, I made the sides keeping the horizontal planks inside, and leaving a space on the extreme ends for the ends to be glued into. Also the vertical stiffeners and cut overlong as they will overlap the floor and top of the crate when all is assembled; I used Evo-stik for assembly. When the sides are made continue with the ends (to be fitted inside the ends and finally the top which fits on the inner planks of the sides and ends but inside the stiffening strips. Leave to dry when the whole ensemble will be quite strong; I then added a number of strips at the joins to replicate some iron stiffening brackets: as this will not be left outside they are of black painted paper which is varnished down.

Finally to assist in moving the crate around and get chains underneath it I added on the base 4 strips a scale 2.5 inches thick ? this would allow spreader bars to be fed through for moving it.

For the varnish I use the kitchen floor preparation by Johnsons ? Klear ? it?s much cheaper than modelers paint and it is an acrylic varnish that dries to a satin finish.

It is a somewhat fiddly thing to make, and I will be buying another one from Bronson-Tate as part of a larger order for Doug Bronson?s coach kits, (thus the post cost will be lower), having made one the price is actually quite good. The kit has 6 pieces that are laser cut for the main body of the kit, extra to that are the supporting strips for the stiffening pieces round the shell of the crate ? the laser cut parts alone makes the assembly much much, easier. Doug Bronson has seen this article and has approved it. The kit can be made with the top loose so 'mock' loads acn be inserted in it if required.

Here are a couple of photos of it: the length of it is just below 4"

6fa0d628f96e45cb92f10affc32c9876.jpg

41c9a3c7b6644651aa6b62ca16a3de32.jpg

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Ohhh! Eck sellent!!! That looks just like a nice tasty piece of machinery all packaged up and ready for delivery to some fictitious workshop. :clap::clap::clap:

peterbunce

29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Hi Pete,

Thats easy, polystyrene packaging bits + lead sheet+Aileens thick PVA glue, and then paper, and more glue over it all! Season with paint and thread to suit ! :) :clap:

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Great idea Peter and an excellent piece of work

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
That looks very nice Peter still have a few hundred coffee stirrers to use this has given me a idea to use a few :clap:

peterbunce

29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
hi Ritchie, Now that sounds like a good idea, I have a few (much less than you) and will put some together!

They are about 50% extra in thickness, so a longer crate I think will do, might even add some diagonal braces to it as well.

Thanks for giving a stir to the grey matter:):clap:

peterbunce

29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Hi,

I have been building another crate, and as Pete (Mr Spock) was asking what was underneath here are a couple of photos of the load for the present one, which is a bit larger in plan and less high. The pair will make a good laod for flatcars.

The load sits on a piece of .060 plasticard, scored at the edges for 9" planks, with some cross pieces, underneath (as before). The load itself is 3 pieces from the same polystyrene packaging , being cut off and glued together after adding the lead weight into a pre cut slot, using the thick PVA to glue all together.

Again I wanted a couple of taraulins for the cover, so I added them on with thick PVA from some scrap paper adding in the folds/creases as I glued them onto the polystyrene foam, again with thick PVA

Here is what the load looked like at this stage --

d51776a4893a4aa8a2be63d33a510e45.jpg

Having been left overnight to allow the glue to set off it was out with the paint pots and when coloured I added the thread for the 'ropes' to complete the look of it. Most will not be visible when complete but I know whats inside! These are spot glued to the scrap strips around the edge of the load.

6369f61780724d718970a59078ea178d.jpg

Here is a final photo before varnishing (to keep the 'rope in position) before it will go inside the crate. That is the sdaem basic construction except being larger it is made from my supply of wooden coffee strirrers - Yes I has some funny looks at MacDonalds when I went asking for some, quite a while ago now !

Yours Peter.

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
Wow,

very fine paintwork on the covers!
That looks really good.

Greetings

Frank